Analyzing Parliamentary Elections Based on Voting Advice Application Data
The main goal of this paper is to model the values of Finnish citizens and the members of the parliament. To achieve this goal, two databases are combined: voting advice application data and the results of the parliamentary elections in 2011. First, the data is converted to a high-dimension space. Then, it is projected to two principal components. The projection allows us to visualize the main differences between the parties. The value grids are produced with a kernel density estimation method without explicitly using the questions of the voting advice application. However, we find meaningful interpretations for the axes in the visualizations with the analyzed data. Subsequently, all candidate value grids are weighted by the results of the parliamentary elections. The result can be interpreted as a distribution grid for Finnish voters’ values.
KeywordsParliamentary Elections Visualizations Principal Component Analysis Kernel Density Estimation Missing Value Imputation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The elections website of the ministry of justice, http://www.vaalit.fi/ (retrieved on April 2011)
- 2.HS Voting Advice Application (in Finnish), http://www.vaalikone.fi/ (retrieved on April 2011)
- 3.HS blog (in Finnish), http://blogit.hs.fi/hsnext/hsn-vaalikone-on-nyt-avointa-tietoa (retrieved on April 2011)
- 4.xls-dataset - Typical way to convert qualitative data to quantative, http://www.loitto.com/tilastot/hsvaalikone11/HS-vaalikone2011_num2.xls (retrieved on May 2011)
- 6.National election in Finland (March 18, 2007), http://www.parlgov.org/stable/data/fin/election-parliament/2007-03-18.html (retrieved at May 2011)
- 8.Hair, J., Anderson, R., Tatham, R., Black, W.: Multivariate Data Analysis, 5th edn. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Pyle, D.: Data Preparation for Data Mining. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Scott, D.W.: Multivariate density estimation, 5th edn. Wiley Online Library (1992)Google Scholar
- 11.Data Rangers example (in Finnish), http://extra.datarangers.fi/vaalit/ (retrieved on May 2011)
- 12.Candidate Map (in Finnish), http://nypon.fi/Vaalit2011/ (retrieved on May 2011)
- 14.Daley, S., Kanter, J.: Finland’s Turn to Right Sends Shivers Through Euro Zone. New York TImes (April 21, 2011)Google Scholar