Coverage and Capacity Extensions by Means of Opportunistic Networks in the Future Internet
Our work showcases how opportunistic networks can be used for expanding the coverage and the capacity of infrastructures in a Future Internet context. Opportunistic networks are managed by cognitive systems, which collaborate through control mechanisms. The demonstration of these technologies shows enhanced service provision capabilities, higher resource utilization, lower transmission powers, and “green” network operation.
KeywordsOpportunistic networks cognitive management coverage capacity
- 1.OneFIT (Opportunistic networks and Cognitive Management Systems for Efficient Application Provision in the Future Internet) project, http://www.ict-onefit.eu
- 2.European Telecommunication Standardization Institute (ETSI), Technical Committee on “Reconfigurable Radio Systems” (RRS), http://www.etsi.org/website/technologies/RRS.aspx
- 3.Opportunistic Coverage Extension for Infrastructure Failure Mitigation, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R83lByciSzc
- 4.Opportunistic Coverage Extension for Mitigation of Outages due to Node Mobility, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNQpPF4_TrU
- 5.Opportunistic Capacity Extension through Femtocells, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq9cJP8HFGQ