A Semantic Rule and Event Driven Approach for Agile Decision-Centric Business Process Management
The growing importance of Web-based service organizations and agile enterprise service networks creates a need for the optimization of semi- or unstructured, decision-centric service processes. These decision-centric processes often contain more event-driven and situation-aware behavior, more non-standard knowledge intensive cases and event-driven routings, and more variability and agility than traditional processes. Consequently, systems supporting these decision-centric service processes require much more degrees of freedom than standard BPM systems. While pure syntactic BPM languages such as OASIS WS-BPEL and OMG BPMN addresses the industry’s need for standard service orchestration semantics they provide only limited expressiveness to describe complex decision logic and conditional event-driven reaction logic. In this paper we propose a heterogenous service-oriented integration of rules (decision rules and complex event processing reaction rules) into BPM to describe rule-based business processes. This leads to a declarative rule-based Semantic BPM (SBPM) approach, which aims at agile and adaptive business process execution including enforcement of non-functional SLA properties of business services via rules.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barnickel, N., Böttcher, J., Paschke, A.: Incorporating semantic bridges into information flow of cross-organizational business process models. In: I-SEMANTICS (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Ul Haq, I., Paschke, A., Schikuta, E., Boley, H.: Rule-based workflow validation of hierarchical service level agreements. In: GPC Workshops, pp. 96–103 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Ul Haq, I., Schikuta, E., Brandic, I., Paschke, A., Boley, H.: Sla validation of service value chains. In: GCC, pp. 308–313 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Kozlenkov, A., Paschke, A.: Prova (2006), http://prova.ws
- 6.Mule. Mule enterprise service bus (2006), http://mule.codehaus.org/display/mule/home
- 7.Paschke, A.: Rule-Based Service Level Agreements - Knowledge Representation for Automated e-Contract, SLA and Policy Management. Idea Verlag GmbH, Munich (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Paschke, A., Kozlenkov, A., Boley, H., Kifer, M., Tabet, S., Dean, M., Barrett, K.: Reaction ruleml (2006), http://ibis.in.tum.de/research/reactionruleml/
- 10.Paschke, A., Boley, H., Kozlenkov, A., Craig, B.L.: Rule responder: Ruleml-based agents for distributed collaboration on the pragmatic web. In: ICPW, pp. 17–28 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Teymourian, K., Paschke, A.: Towards semantic event processing. In: DEBS (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.van der Aalst, W.M.P., ter Hofstede, A.H.M., Kiepuszewski, B., Barros, A.P.: Workflow patterns. Distributed and Parallel Databases. MIS Quarterly 14(1) (2003)Google Scholar