Publishing and Linking Semantically Annotated Agro-environmental Resources to LOD with AGROPub
Publishing agro-environmental resources to a linked open data (LOD) cloud requires publishers to adopt a set of universally recognized linked data principles. These principles, along with semantic annotations based on shared domain ontologies can ensure the semantic integration of agro-environmental resources. In this paper we present a resource-publishing system, called AGROPub, that we developed to aid agro-environmental resource providers to annotate, publish and integrate their resources to LOD. The system comprises services and tools that enable resource providers to annotate their resources by relevant concepts from selected agro-environmental domain ontologies, to generate and publish RDF descriptions of the resources to LOD and to link the published resources to related resources from LOD. In addition to the services and tools dedicated to resource providers, AGROPub provides services and tools that enable consumers of the agro-environmental resources to search and annotate published resources by adding their own annotations as well as to evaluate them based on given criteria.
Keywordsagro-environmental resource publishing annotation linked-open data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anyanwu, K., Maduko, A., Sheth, A.P.: Semrank: ranking complex relationship search results on the semantic web. In: Proceedings of the 14th International WWW Conference, pp. 117–127 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Dill, S., Eiron, N., Gibson, D., Gruhl, D., Guha, R., Jhingran, A., Kanungo, T., Rajagopalan, S., Tomkins, A., Tomlin, J.A., Zien, J.Y.: Semtag and seeker: bootstrapping the semantic web via automated semantic annotation. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on World Wide Web, WWW 2003, pp. 178–186. ACM, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Ebner, H., Manouselis, N., Palmer, M., Enoksson, F., Palavitsinis, N., Kastrantas, K., Naeve, A.: Learning object annotation for agricultural learning repositories. In: Proc. 9th Intl. Conf. on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT 2009), pp. 438–442 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Nešić, S., Rizzoli, A.E., Athanasiadis, I.N., Donatelli, M.: Publishing agro-environmental data to a semantically unified environmental information space: a case study. In: Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Informatics for Environmental Protection - EnviroInfo 2011 (in press, 2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Pariente, T., Fuentes, J.M., Sanguino, M.A., Yurtsever, S., Avellino, G., Rizzoli, A.E., Nešić, S.: A model for semantic annotation of environmental resources: The taToo semantic framework. In: Hřebíček, J., Schimak, G., Denzer, R. (eds.) Environmental Software Systems. IFIP AICT, vol. 359, pp. 419–427. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Rocha, C., Schwabe, D., de Aragão, M.P.: A hybrid approach for searching in the semantic web. In: Proceedings of the 13th International WWW Conference, pp. 374–383 (2004)Google Scholar