How Organizing Knowledge in Meaningful Ways Enhances Search and Supports Independent Learning
Focused on creating and finding OERs for food safety, food security, and agriculture curriculum improvement, each MSUglobal project has progressively delivered better opportunities for learners to discover and learn using content that has been gathered and organized by content experts. The partnerships and technology choices have produced a series of platforms, which have focused on the needs of specific tasks. The projects have built techniques for improving search and discoverability through more automated metadata. The projects have also created opportunities to include rich multimedia.
KeywordsOpen Education Resources (OER) metadata tagging OER search discoverability food safety agriculture OER
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Spiro, R.J., Collins, B.P., Ramchandran, A.R.: Modes of Openness and Flexibility in Cognitive Flexibility Hypertext Learning Environments. In: Khan, B. (ed.) Flexible Learning in an Information Society, Idea Group, Hershey (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Geith, C., Vignare, K., Bourquin, L., Thiagarajan, D.: Designing Corporate Training in Developing Economies Using Open Educational Resources. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks 14(3) (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Geith, C., Butcher, N., Vignare, K., Yergler, N.: AgShare: Building Community and Content with Multiple Partners. In: Proceedings OpenEd 2010: 7th Annual Open Education Conference, Barcelona, November 2-4 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Geith, C., Vignare, K.: Access to Education with Online Learning and Open Educational Resources: Can They Close the GAP? Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks 12(1) (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Spiro, R., Collins, B.P., Thota, J., Feltovich, P.: Cognitive Flexibility Theory: Hypermedia for Complex Learning, Adaptive Knowledge Application, and Experience Acceleration. Educational Technology 43(5), 5–12 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Ebner, H., Manouselis, N., Palmer, M., Enoksson, F., Palavitsinis, N., Kastrantas, K., Naeve, A.: Learning Object Annotation for Agricultural Learning Repositories. In: Ninth IEEE International Conference Advanced Learning Technologies, ICALT 2009, pp. 438–442 (2009)Google Scholar