Outreach to Prospective Informatics Students
In this paper we first identify the main factors which influence the students’ attitudes to study computer science related disciplines. Then various outreach initiatives and activities implemented in Poland are described and discussed. They range from changes in the national curriculum for middle and high schools to formal and informal lectures, courses, and workshops organized by public and private institutions of tertiary education. Project Informatics +, addressed to 15 000 students from five regions, is presented in details and its outcomes after the first year of running are reviewed shortly.
KeywordsComputer Science Middle School National Curriculum Outreach Activity Informatics Education
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Computational thinking, http://www.iste.org/standards/computational-thinking.aspx
- 3.CSTA: National Secondary Computer Science Survey (2009), http://csta.acm.org/Research/sub/CSTAResearch.html
- 4.CSTA K-12 Computer Science Standards (2011), http://csta.acm.org/Research/sub/CSTAResearch.html
- 8.Gurbiel, E., Hardt-Olejniczak, G., Kołczyk, E., Krupicka, H., Sysło, M.M.: Informatics. Textbook for middle school, WSiP, Warszawa (2009) (in Polish)Google Scholar
- 9.Gurbiel, E., Hardt-Olejniczak, G., Kołczyk, E., Krupicka, H., Sysło, M.M.: Informatics for All Students. Textbook for high school, WSiP, Warszawa (2012) (in Polish) (in preparation)Google Scholar
- 10.Gurbiel, E., Hard-Olejniczak, G., Kołczyk, E., Krupicka, H., Sysło, M.M.: Informatics, WSiP, Warszawa. Textbook for high school, vol. 1, 2 (2012) (in Polish) (in preparation)Google Scholar
- 11.Informatyka +, http://www.informatykaplus.edu.pl/infp.php/
- 12.NSF, CS/10,000 Project, http://www.computingportal.org/cs10k
- 14.Running On Empty: The Failure to Teach K-12 Computer Science in The Digital Age, ACM, CSTA (2010), http://csta.acm.org/Runninonempty/
- 15.STEM: STEM Education Coalition, http://www.stemedcoalition.org/
- 16.Stephenson, C., Gal-Ezer, J., Haberman, B., Verno, A.: The New Education Imperative: Improving High School Computer Science Education, Final Report of the CSTA Curriculum Improvement Task Force, CSTA, ACM (February 2005), http://csta.acm.org/Publications/White_Paper07_06.pdf
- 21.Youth Academy of Informatics, http://www.main.edu.pl