Robustness of Social Networks: Comparative Results Based on Distance Distributions
Given a social network, which of its nodes have a stronger impact in determining its structure? More formally: which node-removal order has the greatest impact on the network structure? We approach this well-known problem for the first time in a setting that combines both web graphs and social networks, using datasets that are orders of magnitude larger than those appearing in the previous literature, thanks to some recently developed algorithms and software tools that make it possible to approximate accurately the number of reachable pairs and the distribution of distances in a graph. Our experiments highlight deep differences in the structure of social networks and web graphs, show significant limitations of previous experimental results, and at the same time reveal clustering by label propagation as a new and very effective way of locating nodes that are important from a structural viewpoint.
KeywordsSocial Network Betweenness Centrality Distance Distribution Label Propagation Neighbourhood Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BRV11]Boldi, P., Rosa, M., Vigna, S.: HyperANF: Approximating the neighbourhood function of very large graphs on a budget. In: Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on World Wide Web, pp. 625–634. ACM, New York (2011)Google Scholar
- [CKL+09]Chierichetti, F., Kumar, R., Lattanzi, S., Mitzenmacher, M., Panconesi, A., Raghavan, P.: On compressing social networks. In: KDD 2009, pp. 219–228. ACM, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- [LADW05]Li, L., Alderson, D.L., Doyle, J., Willinger, W.: Towards a theory of scale-free graphs: Definition, properties, and implications. Internet Math. 2(4) (2005)Google Scholar
- [Mil67]Milgram, S.: The small world problem. Psychology Today 2, 60–67 (1967)Google Scholar
- [PBMW98]Page, L., Brin, S., Motwani, R., Winograd, T.: The PageRank citation ranking: Bringing order to the web. Technical report, Stanford Digital Library Technologies Project, Stanford University, USA (1998)Google Scholar
- [PGF02]Palmer, C.R., Gibbons, P.B., Faloutsos, C.: Anf: a fast and scalable tool for data mining in massive graphs. In: KDD 2002, pp. 81–90. ACM, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- [RAK07]Raghavan, U.N., Albert, R., Kumara, S.: Near linear time algorithm to detect community structures in large-scale networks. Phys. Rev. E 76(3) (2007)Google Scholar