Verification of Orchestration Systems Using Compositional Partial Order Reduction
Orc is a computation orchestration language which is designed to specify computational services, such as distributed communication and data manipulation, in a concise and elegant way. Four concurrency primitives allow programmers to orchestrate site calls to achieve a goal, while managing timeouts, priorities, and failures. To guarantee the correctness of Orc model, effective verification support is desirable. Orc has a highly concurrent semantics which introduces the problem of state-explosion to search-based verification methods like model checking. In this paper, we present a new method, called Compositional Partial Order Reduction (CPOR), which aims to provide greater state-space reduction than classic partial order reduction methods in the context of hierarchical concurrent processes. Evaluation shows that CPOR is more effective in reducing the state space than classic partial order reduction methods.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.PAT: Process Analysis Toolkit, http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~pat/research/
- 2.AlTurki, M., Meseguer, J.: Real-time rewriting semantics of orc. In: PPDP, pp. 131–142 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.AlTurki, M., Meseguer, J.: Dist-Orc: A Rewriting-based Distributed Implementation of Orc with Formal Analysis. Technical report, The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (April 2010), https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/handle/2142/15414
- 6.Basten, T., Bosnacki, D.: Enhancing partial-order reduction via process clustering. In: ASE, pp. 245–253 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Clarke, E.M., Grumberg, O., Peled, D.A.: Model Checking. The MIT Press, Cambridge (2000)Google Scholar
- 16.Jordan, D., Evdemon, J.: Web Services Business Process Execution Language Version 2.0. (April 2007), http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/#wsbpelv2.0
- 18.Kitchin, D., Quark, A., Misra, J.: Quicksort: Combining concurrency, recursion, and mutable data structures. Technical report, The University of Texas at Austin, Department of Computer SciencesGoogle Scholar
- 21.Liu, Y.: Model Checking Concurrent and Real-time Systems: the PAT Approach. PhD thesis, National University of Singapore (2010)Google Scholar
- 27.Tan, T.H., Liu, Y., Sun, J., Dong, J.S.: Compositional Partial Order Reduction for Model Checking Concurrent Systems. Technical report, National Univ. of Singapore (April 2011), http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/pat/fm/cpor/CPORTR.pdf
- 28.Valmari, A.: The state explosion problem. In: Petri Nets, pp. 429–528 (1996)Google Scholar