Synchronous AADL and Its Formal Analysis in Real-Time Maude
Distributed Real-Time Systems (DRTS), such as avionics systems and distributed control systems in motor vehicles, are very hard to design because of asynchronous communication, network delays, and clock skews. Furthermore, their model checking problem typically becomes unfeasible due to the large state spaces caused by the interleavings. For many DRTSs, we can use the PALS methodology to reduce the problem of designing and verifying asynchronous DRTSs to the much simpler task of designing and verifying their synchronous versions. AADL is an industrial modeling standard for avionics and automotive systems. We define in this paper the Synchronous AADL language for modeling synchronous real-time systems in AADL, and provide a formal semantics for Synchronous AADL in Real-Time Maude. We have integrated into the OSATE modeling environment for AADL a plug-in which allows us to model check Synchronous AADL models in Real-Time Maude within OSATE. We exemplify such verification on an avionics system, whose Synchronous AADL design can be model checked in less than 10 seconds, but whose asynchronous design cannot be feasibly model checked.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Al-Nayeem, A., Sun, M., Qiu, X., Sha, L., Miller, S.P., Cofer, D.D.: A formal architecture pattern for real-time distributed systems. In: Proc. RTSS 2009. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.França, R., Bodeveix, J.P., Filali, M., Rolland, J.F., Chemouil, D., Thomas, D.: The AADL behaviour annex - experiments and roadmap. In: Proc. ICECCS 2007. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Jahier, E., Halbwachs, N., Raymond, P., Nicollin, X., Lesens, D.: Virtual execution of AADL models via a translation into synchronous programs. In: Proc. EMSOFT 2007. ACM, New York (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Kopetz, H., Bauer, G.: The time-triggered architecture. Proc. of the IEEE 93(1) (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Meseguer, J., Ölveczky, P.: Formalization and correctness of the PALS architectural pattern for distributed real-time systems. Tech. rep., Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2010), http://hdl.handle.net/2142/17089
- 13.Miller, S.P., Cofer, D.D., Sha, L., Meseguer, J., Al-Nayeem, A.: Implementing logical synchrony in integrated modular avionics. In: Proc. DASC 2009. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.SAE AADL Team: AADL homepage (2009), http://www.aadl.info/
- 17.Sha, L., Al-Nayeem, A., Sun, M., Meseguer, J., Ölveczky, P.: PALS: Physically asynchronous logically synchronous systems. Tech. rep., Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2009), http://hdl.handle.net/2142/11897