Many economic decisions involve selecting and/or placing certain facilities to serve given demands efficiently. Examples include manufacturing plants, storage facilities, depots, warehouses, libraries, fire stations, hospitals, base stations for wireless services (like TV broadcasting or mobile phone service), etc. The problems have in common that a set of facilities, each with a certain position, has to be chosen, and the objective is to meet the demand (of customers, users etc.) best. Facility location problems, which occur also in less obvious contexts, indeed have numerous applications.
KeywordsApproximation Algorithm Facility Location Performance Ratio Local Search Algorithm Service Cost
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cornuéjols, G., Nemhauser, G.L., and Wolsey, L.A. : The uncapacitated facility location problem. In: Discrete Location Theory (P.B. Mirchandani, R.L. Francis, eds.), Wiley, New York 1990, pp. 119–171Google Scholar
- Shmoys, D.B. : Approximation algorithms for facility location problems. Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Approximation Algorithms for Combinatorial Optimization; LNCS 1913 (K. Jansen, S. Khuller, eds.), Springer, Berlin 2000, pp. 27–33Google Scholar
- Vygen, J. : Approximation algorithms for facility location problems (lecture notes). Report No. 05950-OR, Research Institute for Discrete Mathematics, University of Bonn, 2005Google Scholar
- Archer, A., Rajagopalan, R., and Shmoys, D.B. : Lagrangian relaxation for the k-median problem: new insights and continuity properties. In: Algorithms – Proceedings of the 11th European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA); LNCS 2832 (G. di Battista, U. Zwick, eds.), Springer, Berlin 2003, pp. 31–42Google Scholar
- Arora, S., Raghavan, P., and Rao, S. : Approximation schemes for Euclidean k-medians and related problems. Proceedings of the 30th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (1998), 106–113Google Scholar
- Balinski, M.L., and Wolfe, P. : On Benders decomposition and a plant location problem. Working paper ARO-27. Mathematica, Princeton 1963Google Scholar
- Levi, R., Shmoys, D.B., and Swamy, C. : LP-based approximation algorithms for capacitated facility location. In: Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization; Proceedings of the 10th International IPCO Conference; LNCS 3064 (G. Nemhauser, D. Bienstock, eds.), Springer, Berlin 2004, pp. 206–218. Mathematical Programming A, to appearGoogle Scholar
- Li, S. : A 1.488-approximation algorithm for the uncapacitated facility location problem. In: Automata, Languages and Programming; Proceedings of the 38th ICALP conference, Part II; LNCS 6756 (Aceto, L., Henzinger, M., Sgall, J., eds.), Springer, Berlin 2011, pp. 77–88Google Scholar
- Mahdian, M., and Pál, M. : Universal facility location. In: Algorithms – Proceedings of the 11th European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA); LNCS 2832 (G. di Battista, U. Zwick, eds.), Springer, Berlin 2003, pp. 409–421Google Scholar
- Pál, M., Tardos, É., and Wexler, T. : Facility location with nonuniform hard capacities. Proceedings of the 42nd Annual IEEE Symposium on the Foundations of Computer Science (2001), 329–338Google Scholar
- Shmoys, D.B., Tardos, É., and Aardal, K. : Approximation algorithms for facility location problems. Proceedings of the 29th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (1997), 265–274Google Scholar
- Sviridenko, M. : An improved approximation algorithm for the metric uncapacitated facility location problem. In: Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization; Proceedings of the 9th International IPCO Conference; LNCS 2337 (W. Cook, A. Schulz, eds.), Springer, Berlin 2002, pp. 240–257Google Scholar