Min-sum Clustering of Protein Sequences with Limited Distance Information
We study the problem of efficiently clustering protein sequences in a limited information setting. We assume that we do not know the distances between the sequences in advance, and must query them during the execution of the algorithm. Our goal is to find an accurate clustering using few queries. We model the problem as a point set S with an unknown metric d on S, and assume that we have access to one versus all distance queries that given a point s ∈ S return the distances between s and all other points. Our one versus all query represents an efficient sequence database search program such as BLAST, which compares an input sequence to an entire data set. Given a natural assumption about the approximation stability of the min-sum objective function for clustering, we design a provably accurate clustering algorithm that uses few one versus all queries. In our empirical study we show that our method compares favorably to well-established clustering algorithms when we compare computationally derived clusterings to gold-standard manual classifications.
KeywordsCluster Core Cluster Instance Spectral Cluster Algorithm Cluster Output Target Cluster
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AGK+04]Arya, V., Garg, N., Khandekar, R., Meyerson, A., Munagala, K., Pandit, V.: Local search heuristics for k-median and facility location problems. SIAM J. Comput. 33(3) (2004)Google Scholar
- [AJM09]Ailon, N., Jaiswal, R., Monteleoni, C.: Streaming k-means approximation. In: Proc. of 23rd Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems, NIPS (2009)Google Scholar
- [AV07]Arthur, D., Vassilvitskii, S.: k-means++: the advantages of careful seeding. In: Proc. of 18th ACM-SIAM Symp. on Discrete Algorithms, SODA (2007)Google Scholar
- [BBG09]Balcan, M.F., Blum, A., Gupta, A.: Approximate clustering without the approximation. In: Proc. of 20th ACM-SIAM Symp. on Discrete Algorithms, SODA (2009)Google Scholar
- [BCR01]Bartal, Y., Charikar, M., Raz, D.: Approximating min-sum k-clustering in metric spaces. In: Proc. of 33rd ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, STOC (2001)Google Scholar
- [Kle03]Kleinberg, J.: An impossibility theorem for clustering. In: Proc. of 17th Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems, NIPS (2003)Google Scholar
- [MBHC95]Murzin, A.G., Brenner, S.E., Hubbard, T., Chothia, C.: Scop: a structural classification of proteins database for the investigation of sequences and structures. J. Mol. Biol. 247, 536–540 (1995)Google Scholar
- [MOP01]Mishra, N., Oblinger, D., Pitt, L.: Sublinear time approximate clustering. In: Proc. of 12th ACM-SIAM Symp. on Discrete Algorithms, SODA (2001)Google Scholar
- [VBR+10]Voevodski, K., Balcan, M.F., Röglin, H., Teng, S., Xia, Y.: Efficient clustering with limited distance information. In: Proc. of 26th Conference on Uncertainty in Artifcial Intelligence, UAI (2010)Google Scholar
- [ZBD09]Zadeh, R.B., Ben-David, S.: A uniqueness theorem for clustering. In: Proc. of 25th Conference on Uncertainty in Artifcial Intelligence, UAI (2009)Google Scholar