Implementing Enhanced OAI-PMH Requirements for Europeana
Europeana has put in a stretch many known procedures in digital libraries, imposing requirements difficult to be implemented in many small institutions, often without dedicated systems support personnel. Although there are freely available open source software platforms that provide most of the commonly needed functionality such as OAI-PMH support, the migration from legacy software may not be easy, possible or desired. Furthermore, advanced requirements like selective harvesting according to complex criteria are not widely supported. To accommodate these needs and help institutions contribute their content to Europeana, we developed a series of tools. For the majority of small content providers that are running DSpace, we developed a DSpace plug-in, to convert and augment the Dublin Core metadata according to Europeana ESE requirements. For sites with different software, incompatible with OAI-PMH, we developed wrappers enabling repeatable generation and harvesting of ESE-compatible metadata via OAI-PMH. In both cases, the system is able to select and harvest only the desired metadata records, according to a variety of configuration criteria of arbitrary complexity. We applied our tools to providers with sophisticated needs, and present the benefits they achieved.
KeywordsOAI-PMH Europeana EuropeanaLocal Tools DSpace Plug-in Interoperability Information integration Metadata harvesting Europena Semantic Elements
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Koninklijke Bibliotheek: Europeana (2009), http://www.europeana.eu
- 2.McHenry, O.: EuropeanaLocal – its role in improving access to Europe’s cultural heritage through the European Digital Library. In: 11th Annual International Conference «EVA Moscow», Moscow 2008 (2008), http://conf.cpic.ru/upload/eva2008/reports/dokladEn_1509.pdf
- 3.Koulouris, A., Garoufallou, E., Banos, E.: Automated metadata harvesting among Greek repositories in the framework of EuropeanaLocal: dealing with interoperability. In: Proceedings of the 2nd Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries International Conference (QQML 2010), Chania (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Banos, E.: DSpace plugin for Europeana Semantic Elements (ESE) (2010), http://www.vbanos.gr?p=189Google Scholar
- 5.Donas, K.: DEiXTo (2010), http://www.deixto.com
- 6.Mazurek, C., Mielnicki, M., Parkola, T., Werla, M.: The role of selective metadata harvesting in the virtual integration of distributed digital resources. In: ENRICH Final Conference, pp. 27–31 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Mazurek, C., Mielnicki, M., Werla, M.: Selective harvesting of regional digital libraries and national metadata aggregators. In: 9th ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL 2009), New York, pp. 429–430 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Sanderson, R., Young, J., LeVan, R.: SRW/U with OAI: Expected and Unexpected Synergies. D-Lib Magazine 11(2) (2005), http://www.dlib.org/dlib/february05/sanderson/02sanderson.html
- 9.OAI Extended AddOn: University of Minho (2011), http://projecto.rcaap.pt/index.php/lang-en/consultar-recursos-de-apoio/remository?func=fileinfo&id=337
- 11.VOA3R EU project, http://www.voa3r.eu