Music Video Redundancy and Half-Life in YouTube
YouTube is the largest, most popular video digital library in existence, and is quite possibly the most popular digital library regardless of format type. Furthermore, music videos are one of the primary applications of YouTube. Based on our experiences of linking to music videos in YouTube, we observed that while any single URI had a short half-life, music videos were always available at another URI. For this study we collected 1291 music videos and found that very few had zero or one copies in YouTube at any given time, and some had several thousand copies at any given time. Furthermore, individual URIs had a half-life of anywhere from 9 to 18 months, depending on the publication date and remaining commercial potential.
KeywordsDigital Library Music Video Copyright Owner Copyright Holder Query Parameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alexa: Youtube.com Site Info (2010), http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/youtube.com (last checked: December 11, 2010)
- 2.Capra, R.G., Lee, C.A., Marchionini, G., Russell, T., Shah, C., Stutzman, F.: Selection and context scoping for digital video collections: an investigation of youtube and blogs. In: Proceedings of the 8th ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, pp. 211–220 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Cheng, X., Dale, C., Liu, J.: Understanding the characteristics of internet short video sharing: YouTube as a case study. Technical Report Arxiv preprint arXiv:0707.3670 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Cheng, X., Dale, C., Liu, J.: Statistics and social network of youtube videos. In: 16th International Workshop on Quality of Service, IWQoS 2008, pp. 229–238 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Cunningham, S.J., Nichols, D.M.: How people find videos. In: Proceedings of the 8th ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, pp. 201–210 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Google: Developer’s Guide: Data API Protocol - API Query Parameters - YouTube APIs and Tools - Google Code (2010), https://code.google.com/apis/youtube/2.0/developers_guide_protocol_api_query_parameters.html#qsp (last checked: December 12, 2010)
- 7.Marchionini, G., Shah, C., Lee, C.A., Capra, R.: Query parameters for harvesting digital video and associated contextual information. In: Proceedings of the 9th ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, pp. 77–86. ACM, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Shah, C.: Tubekit: a query-based youtube crawling toolkit. In: Proceedings of the 8th ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, pp. 433–433 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.The Rolling Stones Magazine. The RS 500 Greatest Songs of All Time: Rolling Stone (2004), http://web.archive.org/web/20080622145429/www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/500songs (last checked: November 13, 2010)
- 11.top40-charts.com. USA Singles Top 40 @ Top40-Charts.com (2010), http://top40-charts.com/chart.php?cid=27&date=2010-09-25 (last checked: December 13, 2010)