Assessing Use Intention and Usability of Mobile Devices in a Hybrid Environment
During the last decades many information providers, such as libraries, have been collecting, organizing and delivering information in both print and digital format, forming a hybrid information environment. However, exploration of a hybrid information environment does not result in a unified seeking experience, which exploits most effectively the available resources. This paper aims to identify the main factors that influence the adoption of wireless, mobile devices (e.g., smartphones) as a means of integrating the information seeking process in hybrid environments. Therefore it presents a prototype system and an evaluation study that provides an insight about the services design.
KeywordsDigital library evaluation interaction mobile devices
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Acock, A.C.: A Gentle Introduction to Stata, 2nd edn. Stata Press (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Buchanan, G.R.: The fused library: integrating digital and physical libraries with location-aware sensors. In: Proc. of 10th JCDL, pp. 273–282. ACM, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Ryan, C., Gonsalves, A.: The effect of context and application type on mobile usability: an empirical study. In: Proc. of 28th ACSC, pp. 115–124. Australian Computer Society, Inc. (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Satpathy, L., Mathew, A.P.: Rfid assistance system for faster book search in public libraries. In: CHI 2006 extended abstracts on Human factors in computing systems, CHI EA 2006, pp. 1289–1294. ACM, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Stoica, G.A.: An architecture to support context-aware mobile applications. Phd, University of Patras (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Theng, Y.L., Tan, K.L., Lim, E.P., Zhang, J., Goh, D.H.L., Chatterjea, K., Chang, C.H., Sun, A., Yu, H., Dang, N.H., Li, Y., Vo, M.C.: Mobile G-portal supporting collaborative sharing and learning in geography fieldwork: an empirical study. In: Proc. of 7th JCDL, pp. 462–471. ACM, New York (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Venkatesh, V., Morris, M.G., Davis, G.B., Davis, F.D.: User acceptance of information technology: Toward a unified view. MIS Quarterly 27(3), 425–478 (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Veronikis, S., Gavrilis, D., Zoutsou, K., Papatheodorou, C.: Using handhelds to search in physical and digital information spaces. In: Proc. of 2nd Int. Conf. on Mobile Ubiquitous Computing, Systems, Services and Technologies, pp. 225–230. IEEE CS, Los Alamitos (2008)Google Scholar