Supporting Sharing of Browsing Information and Search Results in Mobile Collaborative Searches
We propose and implement methods for making collaborative searches more efficient in mobile computing environments. In mobile collaborative searches, the small screens of mobile devices make it difficult to share information such as discovered Web pages, evaluations of these, and information related to their search topics. We propose and implement a system supporting mobile collaborative searches, which provides a function for informing others about Web pages by inserting them into others’ search results using simple actions; a function of displaying information related to others’ search topics; and a function of showing the most positively evaluated Web pages at the top of the list of discovered Web pages. We also propose a method for the system to create a group of mobile devices easily. The results of evaluation tests show these methods support the sharing of information and improve the users’ satisfaction.
KeywordsMobile Computing User Interface Collaborative Search
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Morris, M.R., Horvitz, E.: SearchTogether: an interface for collaborative web search. In: UIST 2007, pp. 3–12 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Amershi, S., Morris, M.R.: CoSearch: A System for Co-located Collaborative Web Search. In: CHI 2008, pp. 1647–1656 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Morris, M.R., Lombardo, J., Wigdor, D.: WeSearch: supporting collaborative search and sensemaking on a tabletop display. In: CSCW 2010, pp. 401–410 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Telecommunications Carriers Association.: Number of subscribers by carriers, http://www.tca.or.jp/english/database/index.html
- 5.Komaki, D., Oku, A., Arase, Y., Hara, T., Uemukai, T., Hattori, G., Nishio, S.: Content Comparison Functions for Mobile Co-located Collaborative Web Search. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing 3(3), 1–10Google Scholar
- 6.Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications: Information & communications statistics database, http://www.soumu.go.jp/johotsusintokei/english/
- 7.Morris, M.R.: A survey of collaborative web search practices. In: CHI 2008, pp. 1657–1660 (2008)Google Scholar