Framework for Collaborative 3D Urban Environments
With Virtual Reality (VR) systems it is possible to visualize three-dimensional environments with a high level of detail and visual fidelity. The users can manipulate and interact with those virtual environments in an intuitive way, close to reality. The VR systems enable the access to digital services that can promote, amongst others, collaborative work, data sharing or e-commerce. In this paper, we present a multidisciplinary solution that can offer added value to users through a collaborative environment with an intuitive interface. This environment will use geo-referenced databases to replicate urban environments and represent real world problems in a virtual way, making possible a better and more flexible approach in order to solve them. It is also proposed an architecture and some digital services are illustrated to show its potential.
KeywordsCollaborative work Virtual urban environments Digital services
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Miller, M.: Using Google Maps and Google Earth. Pearson Professional Computing, London (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Rymaszewski, M., Au, W.J., Wallace, M., Winters, C., Ondrejka, C., Batstone-Cunningham, B., Rosedale, P.: Second Life: The Official Guide. SYBEX Inc., Alameda (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Zhao, H., Sun, B., Wu, H., Hu, X.H.: Study on building a 3D interactive virtual learning environment based on OpenSim platform. In: 2010 International Conference on Audio Language and Image Processing (ICALIP), pp. 1407–1411, 23–25 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Agência para a Modernização Administrativa IP. A minha rua, http://www.portaldocidadao.pt/portal/aminharua/
- 7.Cuddy, C., Glassman, N.R.: Location-Based Services: Foursquare and Gowalla, Should Libraries Play? Journal of Electronic Resources in Medical Libraries, 336–343 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Fletcher, D., Yue, Y., Al Kader, M.: Challenges and Perspectives of Procedural Modelling and Effects. In: 14th International Conference on Information Visualisation (IV), pp. 543–550 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Hippo OpenSim Viewer, http://mjm-labs.com/viewer/