3D Modeling of Haussmannian Facades
Urban modeling has attracted many attentions since Google and Microsoft have launched their 3D geo softwares. However, in order to achieve photo-realistic results at the same level as for the latest interactive video games for high-end applications, less effort has been made to automate urban objects recognition and reconstruction. This paper consists of the automation of image-based Haussmannian facade recognition and reconstruction. The input image is firstly rectified and segmented in order to obtain a rectangular and less distorted facade image extracted from urban scenes. Then based upon various visual features and architectural knowledge, different facade elements which include windows, doors and balconies are detected including positions and also measured sizes. Combined with the depth information computed from 3D range data, the facade geometries and textures can be produced. Finally, an analysis-synthesis approach is used to reconstruct the full 3D facade representation. The processing pipeline developed for this research has also been verified and tested on various Parisian facades and confirmed the desired recognition and reconstruction results.
KeywordsWindow Detection Terrestrial Laser Scan Lens Distortion Building Facade Building Volume
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hoiem, D., Efros, A.A., Hebert, M.: Geometric Context from a Single Image. In: International Conference of Computer Vision, pp. 654–661 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Müller, P., Wonka, P., et al.: Procedural Modeling of Buildings. In: ACM SIGGRAPH 2006, vol. 25, pp. 614–623 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Müller, P., Zeng, G., et al.: Image-based Procedural Modeling of facades. In: ACM SIGGRAPH 2007, pp. 181–184. IEEE Press, New York (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Korah, T., Rasmussen, C.: 2D Lattice Extraction from Structured Environments. In: ICIP (2), pp. 61–64 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Šochman, J.: Evaluation of the AdaBoost IPM. Technical Report TN-eTRIMS-CMP-01-2007 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Chun, L., Gagalowicz, A.: Image-based Modeling of Haussmannian Facades. The International Journal of Virtual Reality 9 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Niemann, T.: PTLens, http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/