Quantitative investigation of water supply conditions in Thassos, N. Greece
Lack of available water resources is a typical problem for the water supply of Greek islands which is difficult to be confronted with the use of groundwater resources (groundwater wells and springs). However, it is proved that the availability of water resources in Thassos island (N. Greece) is rather satisfactory due to the geological settings of the island itself. Although no water supply problems are observed during the winter months for the local population, the problem becomes quite distinct during the summer period due to the sudden increase in population attributed to the touristic development of the island. The interpretation of the water supply balance (water consumption vs. available water resources) leads to the conclusion that this balance is positive during winter in all municipal districts and negative during summer in 60% of the municipal districts.
KeywordsWater Supply Summer Period Karst Spring Municipal District Water Supply Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Diamantis Ι, Tzevelekis Th, Georgiadis P (1994) Hydrogeological behavior of formations in Thassos Island. Problems with the exploitation of the water resources potential. Proceedings of the 4th Conference of the Geological Society of Greece, Volume ΧΧIII/4, 173-182, (in Greek)Google Scholar
- Zahos S (1977) Report for the geological mapping of Thassos Island, (in Greek).Google Scholar
- IGME, Institute of Geological and Mineral Exploration. Part of geological map (scale 1:200,000), (in Greek)Google Scholar
- Diamantis Ι, Tzevelekis Th (1992) Hydrogeological and hydrochemical conditions in the coastal alluvial fans of Thasos island. Proceedings of the 2nd Hellenic Hydrogeological Conference. Bulletin of Cyprus Association of Geologists and Mining Engineers (6) 131-148, (in Greek)Google Scholar
- Katimada Chr ( 2010) Water resources management of Thassos island in terms of origin, quality and quantity. Diploma Thesis. Department of Civil Engineering, Democritus University of Thrace, Xanthi, Greece, (in Greek)Google Scholar
- Papacharalampos Chr (2007) Assessment of the water supply needs of Thassos Island. Assessment for the Municipal Enterprise for Water Supply and Sewerage of Thassos (in Greek)Google Scholar