W-entropy Index: The Impact of the Members on Social Networks
Who has the greatest impact/influence on social networks in China? Xu Xiaoming or Yao Chen? With the rapid growth of the social networks, it’s becoming more and more necessary to measure the impact of individuals in this field. Every social network has its ranking displaying who is the most popular person at the moment. However, this measurement is incomplete and one-dimensional. This paper applies the Shannon entropy theory to create a model for analyzing the impact of the individuals in the social networks. With the collected data from the social networks of SINA and Tencent, the results came out as expected: Yang Mi is with the greatest W-entropy index in SINA, 100 and Yao Chen is the second, 67.17.
KeywordsBlog Entropy of Information Social Network W-entropy index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The top rank list of SINA blog, http://blog.sina.com.cn/lm/top/rank/ (accessible in May 2011)
- 2.The top rank list of SINA micro-blog, http://weibo.com/ (accessible in May 2011)
- 4.Li, W.: An Algorithm for Negative Entropy – The Sequence of the Complex System Structure. Systems Engineering Theory & Practice (Quarterly) 8(4), 15–22 (1988)Google Scholar
- 5.Baidu Encyclopedia, http://baike.baidu.com/ (accessible in May 2011)
- 6.Zhao wei’s blog in Sohu, http://zhaoweispace.blog.sohu.com/ (accessible in May 2011)
- 7.Zhaowei’s blog in Zhonghua, http://zhaoweiblog.blog.china.com/ (accessible in May 2011)
- 8.The micro-blog of Kaifu Lee in Tencent, http://t.qq.com/kaifulee (accessible in May 2011)
- 9.The micro-blog of Liu Xiang in Tencent, http://t.qq.com/liuxiang (accessible in May 2011)
- 10.The micro-blog of Xu Jinglei in Tencent, http://t.qq.com/xujinglei (accessible in May 2011)
- 11.China Everbright Bank’s micro-blog, http://weibo.com/cebbank (accessible in May 2011)
- 12.China 1000 plan Superblog, http://www.1000plan.org/superblog (accessible in May 2011)