Attribute Selection-Based Recommendation Framework for Long-Tail User Group: An Empirical Study on MovieLens Dataset
Most of recommendation systems have serious difficulties on providing relevant services to the “short-head” users who have shown intermixed preferential patterns. In this paper, we assume that such users (which are referred to as long-tail users) can play an important role of information sources for improving the performance of recommendation. Attribute reduction-based mining method has been proposed to efficiently select the long-tail user groups. More importantly, the long-tail user groups as domain experts are employed to provide more trustworthy information. To evaluate the proposed framework, we have integrated MovieLens dataset with IMDB, and empirically shown that the long-tail user groups are useful for the recommendation process.
KeywordsUser modeling Recommendation Long-tail group Attribute reduction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brusilovsky, P., Sosnovsky, S., Yudelson, M., Kumar, A., Hsiao, S.: User model integration in a distributed adaptive e-learning system. In: Berkovsky, S., Carmagnola, F., Heckmann, D., Kuflik, T., Krüger, A. (eds.) Proceedings of the 6th International Workshop on Ubiquitous User Modeling, pp. 1–10 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Jung, J.J.: Query transformation based on semantic centrality in semantic social network. Journal of Universal Computer Science 14(7), 1031–1047 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Sarwar, B.M., Karypis, G., Konstan, J.A., Riedl, J.: Item-based collaborative filtering recommendation algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 10th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2010), pp. 285–295. ACM, New York (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Sathe, N.A., Lee, P., Giuse, N.B.: A power information user (piu) model to promote information integration in tennessee’s public health community. Journal of Medical Library Association 92(4), 459–464 (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Su, X., Khoshgoftaar, T.M.: A survey of collaborative filtering techniques. Advances in Artificial Intelligence 2009(4), 2 (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Zhang, Y., Koren, J.: Efficient bayesian hierarchical user modeling for recommendation system. In: Kraaij, W., de Vries, A.P., Clarke, C.L.A., Fuhr, N., Kando, N. (eds.) Proceedings of the 30th Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, pp. 47–54. ACM, New York (2007)Google Scholar