Visualization of Learner’s State and Learning Paths with Knowledge Structures
To visualize learner’s state and learning path, CMMI-based learning system and knowledge space theory have been integrated. Our CMMI-based learning system, called SPICE, provides framework for learner’s capabilities and their maturity while the knowledge space theory provides lattices for possible learning order. The proposed lattices visualizes (1) a group’s learning states as well as an individual’s state in the knowledge structure and (2) exceptional learning paths as well as the conventional learning path in the knowledge structure. As reverse engineering, the method also identifies the learning structure on the basis of the learners’ audit.
KeywordsEducation information system Knowledge space theory Knowledge structure E-learning Learning system Technology enhanced learning Visualization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Curriculum guideline, http://www.mext.go.jp/a_menu/shotou/new-cs/youryou/index.htm (accessed January 18, 2011) (in Japanese)
- 2.Nakamura, Y., Tsuji, H.: Spiral Capability Enhancement Support System. In: Proc. of the 2nd International Symposium on Aware Computing, pp. 233–238 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Kuo, Y.-L., Nakamura, Y., Sakoda, M., Tsuji, H., Lee, C.-S.: Giving Awareness of Maturity by Capability Assessment. In: Proc. of 2011 IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems (to appear, 2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Information-technology Promotion Agency, Japan, White paper of IT talented people 2010 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.European e-Competence Framework 2.0. A common European framework for ICT Professionals in all industry sectors, http://www.ecompetences.eu/ (accessed April 28, 2011)
- 6.CMMI Product Team, “CMMI for Development, Version 1.3”, http://www.sei.cmu.edu/library/abstracts/reports/10tr033.cfm (accessed March 31, 2011)
- 7.Sakoda, M., Wada, Y., Tsuji, H., Seta, K.: Social Network Service with Maturity Level for Science Teachers. In: Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pp. 1718–1723 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Heller, J., Steiner, C., Hockemeyer, C., Albert, D.: Competence-Based Knowledge Structures for Personalised Learning. International Journal on E-Learning 5(1), 75–88 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Akifuji, S., Tsuji, H.: Application of Version-Space Method for Case Retrieval and Indexing. Information Processing Society of Japan Transactions 36(1), 41–50 (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Inoguchi, M.: Analysis of Information Table by Rough Set Theory. System, Control and Information: The Institute of Systems, Control and Information Engineers 49(5), 165–172 (2005)Google Scholar