Discrete Particle Swarm Optimization for TSP: Theoretical Results and Experimental Evaluations
Particle swarm optimization (PSO) is a nature-inspired technique originally designed for solving continuous optimization problems. There already exist several approaches that use PSO also as basis for solving discrete optimization problems, in particular the Traveling Salesperson Problem (TSP). In this paper, (i) we present the first theoretical analysis of a discrete PSO algorithm for TSP which also provides insight into the convergence behavior of the swarm. In particular, we prove that the popular choice of using “sequences of transpositions” as the difference between tours tends to decrease the convergence rate. (ii) In the light of this observation, we present a new notion of difference between tours based on “edge exchanges” and a new method to combine differences by computing their “centroid.” This leads to a more PSO-like behavior of the algorithm and avoids the observed slow down effect. (iii) Then, we investigate implementations of our methods and compare them with previous implementations showing the competitiveness of our new approaches.
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm Travel Salesman Problem Global Attractor Convergence Behavior
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anghinolfi, D., Paolucci, M.: A new discrete particle swarm optimization approach for the single-machine total weighted tardiness scheduling problem with sequence-dependent setup times. European Journal of Operational Research 193, 73–85 (2009), doi:10.1016/j.ejor.2007.10.044CrossRefMATHGoogle Scholar
- 2.Clerc, M.: Discrete Particle Swarm Optimization, illustrated by the Traveling Salesman Problem. Website (2000), http://clerc.maurice.free.fr/pso/pso_tsp/Discrete_PSO_TSP.zip
- 5.Eberhart, R.C., Kennedy, J.: A new optimizer using particle swarm theory. In: Proc. 6th International Symposium on Micro Machine and Human Science, pp. 39–43 (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.C.: Particle swarm optimization. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, vol. 4, pp. 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.C.: A discrete binary version of the particle swarm algorithm. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, vol. 5, pp. 4104–4108 (1997)Google Scholar
- 15.Shi, X.H., Zhou, Y., Wang, L.M., Wang, Q.X., Liang, Y.C.: A discrete particle swarm optimization algorithm for travelling salesman problem. In: Proc. 1st Int. Conf. on Computation Methods (ICCM), vol. 2, pp. 1063–1068 (2004)Google Scholar
- 18.Wang, K.P., Huang, L., Zhou, C.G., Pang, W.: Particle swarm optimization for traveling salesman problem. In: Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, vol. 3, pp. 1583–1585 (2003)Google Scholar
- 19.Zhong, W., Zhang, J., Chen, W.: A novel discrete particle swarm optimization to solve traveling salesman problem. In: Proc. IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC), pp. 3283–3287 (2007)Google Scholar