Development of E-Learning System Using Handwriting on Screen
This paper describes the development and enhancement of an e-learning system to replace the conventional blackboard and student note-taking approach. The concept is based on hand writable student terminals that connect to the teacher’s terminal. An earlier version used PDA but this advanced approach uses tablet or note PCS as student terminals. The wider screen improves usability and facilitates writing and drawing. The teacher can evaluate work via thumbnails of each student screen. The teacher can write comments to individual students and also project examples of good answers to a wide screen for the benefit of the whole class. The functions provided to students enable simultaneous view of teaching materials and annotation capability, Internet search access and immediacy of teacher response. Evaluations of this upgraded approach by ten students were very positive. We are planning to extend student’s terminal into Android Tablet PC.
KeywordsTeaching Material Wide Screen Terminal Screen Android Tablet Annotation Capability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Miura, M., Kunifuji, S., Shizuki, B., Tanaka, J.: Real-world Oriented Interactive Learning System Based on Digital Pen Devices and PDSs. Journal of Information Processing Society of Japan 46(9), 2300–2309 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Mine, R., Maki, A., Takahashi, M., Nakamura, K.: Development of Education Method for Critical Thinking Using Digital Pen - Development of Information Sharing System Using Digital Pen and Its Evaluation. IEICE Technical Report, ET2010-74, pp.47–52 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Mine, R., Maki, A., Takahashi, M., Nakamura, K.: Development of Education Method for Critical Thinking Using Digital Pen - Evaluation of the System from the Point of Views of Teachers and Students. IEICE Technical Report, ET2010-82, pp.17–22 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Yoshida, K., Sakamoto, Y., Miyaji, I., Yamada, K., Fujii, S.: Distance learning sup-port system for game programming with Java. IEICE Technical Report, ET2010-48, pp.37–41 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Fujii, S., Aoyama, H., Ishimoto, M., Nakata, K.: Development of Exercise Lesson Support System sharing mobile terminal screen among lecturer and student. The Fourth Workshop on Groupware and Network Services, pp.37–42 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.HTML5 (2011), http://www.htmq.com/HTML5/001.shtml
- 7.xampp (2011), http://freexxxx.blog120.fc2.com/blog-entry-561.html
- 8.Androider (2011), http://androider.jp/?page_id=9751
- 9.BINARY (2011), http://www.sophia-it.com/content/iPad