Evaluating the LWT-MAC Performance in Query-Driven WSNs Using Data-Centric Routing
Data-centric routing is a new paradigm of routing mechanism adapted for Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs), where the data request and collection is done based on data attributes rather than node IDs and using only local interactions. An example of data-centric routing protocol is Directed Diffusion, in which sinks disseminate queries in order to collect data from a specific area. Both query dissemination as also data collection in case of event detection imply an increase of the network load, which can seriously compromise the WSN performance in terms of reliability, delay and energy consumption. In this study we examine how the previously proposed Low power listening with Wake up after Transmissions MAC protocol (LWT-MAC), designed to react and manage sporadic load increases, is also well suited for data-centric WSNs. The obtained results demonstrate that LWT-MAC is able to cope with the higher load produced by the operation of Directed Diffusion, showing a notably better performance when compared to basic Low Power Listening (LPL) MAC protocols.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Networks Low Power Listening MAC protocols query-driven traffic Directed Diffusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.El-Hoiydi, A.: Aloha with Preamble Sampling for Sporadic Traffic in Ad hoc Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2002), vol. 5, pp. 3418–3423 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Hill, J., Culler, D.: Mica: A Wireless Platform for Deeply Embedded Networks. IEEE Micro, 12–24 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Cano, C., Bellalta, B., Cisneros, A., Oliver, M.: Quantitative analysis of the hidden terminal problem in preamble sampling wsns. Ad Hoc Networks (2011) (in Press, Corrected Proof)Google Scholar
- 11.Ye, W., Silva, F., Heidemann, J.: Ultra-low duty cycle MAC with scheduled channel polling. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, p. 334 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.El-Hoiydi, A., Decotignie, J.D., Hernandez, J.: Low power MAC protocols for infrastructure wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the Fifth European Wireless Conference, pp. 563–569 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Hurni, P., Braun, T.: Increasing Throughput for WiseMAC. In: Proceedings of the Fifth Annual Conference on Wireless on Demand Network Systems and Services (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Chen, G.: Component Oriented Simulation Toolkit (2004), http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~cheng3/
- 15.Chipcon. CC1000. Single Chip Very Low Power RF Transceiver, http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cc1000.pdf