HTML 5 Support for an Accessible User-Video-Interaction on the Web
Multimedia content covers the Web, and we should provide access to all people. For this reason, it is very important to take into account accessibility requirements in the player to avoid barriers and to ensure access to this multimedia content as well as their resources. One of the most frequent barriers is the technological obstacle: the necessity for the user to install the required plug-ins in to order to access video. The new standard HTML5 provides a solution to this problem. However, it does not fully support accessibility requirements of W3C standards, including WCAG and interaction requirement of UAAG. This paper introduces an overall study of this new standard in relation to accessibility requirements for the players as well as an accessible HTML5 Media Player.
KeywordsWeb accessibility video HTML 5 user agent media players
- 1.W3C, WAI, WCAG (2011), http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/wcag.php
- 2.W3C, Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) (2011), http://www.w3.org/WAI/
- 3.Moreno, L., Martínez, P., Ruiz-Mezcua, B.: Disability Standards for Multimedia on the Web. IEEE Multimedia 15(4) (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.W3C, WAI, UAAG (2011), http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/uaag.php
- 6.W3C. HTML5. A vocabulary and associated APIs for HTML and XHTML. Working Draft (April 05, 2011), http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html