Evaluation Methods for Rankings of Facetvalues for Faceted Search
We introduce two metrics aimed at evaluating systems that select facetvalues for a faceted search interface. Facetvalues are the values of meta-data fields in semi-structured data and are commonly used to refine queries. It is often the case that there are more facetvalues than can be displayed to a user and thus a selection has to be made. Our metrics evaluate these selections based on binary relevant assessments for the documents in a collection. Both our metrics are based on Normalized Discounted Cumulated Gain, an often used Information Retrieval metric.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burke, R.D., Hammond, K.J., Young, B.C.: Knowledge-based navigation of complex information spaces. In: Proceedings of The National Conference On Artificial Intelligence, vol. 462, p. 468 (1996)Google Scholar
- Dash, D., Rao, J., Megiddo, N., Ailamaki, A., Lohman, G.: Dynamic faceted search for discovery-driven analysis. In: Proceeding of the 17th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Mining, CIKM 2008, Napa Valley, California, USA, p. 3 (2008), doi:10.1145/1458082.1458087Google Scholar
- English, J., Hearst, M., Sinha, R., Swearingen, K., Yee, K.P.: Hierarchical faceted metadata in site search interfaces. In: CHI 2002 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 628–639 (2002)Google Scholar
- Hearst, M.: Design recommendations for hierarchical faceted search interfaces. In: ACM SIGIR Workshop on Faceted Search, p. 15 (2006)Google Scholar
- Hearst, M.: Uis for faceted navigation: Recent advances and remaining open problems. In: Proc. 2008 Workshop on Human-Computer Interaction and Information Retrieval (2008)Google Scholar
- Trotman, A., Wang, Q.: Overview of the inex, data centric track (2010)Google Scholar