A Space-Time Depth Super-Resolution Scheme for 3D Face Scanning
Current 3D imaging solutions are often based on rather specialized and complex sensors, such as structured light camera/projector systems, and require explicit user cooperation for 3D face scanning under more or less controlled lighting conditions. In this paper, we propose a cost effective 3D acquisition solution with a 3D space-time super-resolution scheme which is particularly suited to 3D face scanning. The proposed solution uses a low-cost and easily movable hardware involving a calibrated camera pair coupled with a non calibrated projector device. We develop a hybrid stereovision and phase-shifting approach using two shifted patterns and a texture image, which not only takes advantage of the assets of stereovision and structured light but also overcomes their weaknesses. We carry out a new super-resolution scheme to correct the 3D facial model and to enrich the 3D scanned view. Our scheme performs the super-resolution despite facial expression variation using a CPD non-rigid matching. We demonstrate both visually and quantitatively the efficiency of the proposed technique.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Zhang, L., Curless, B., Seitz, S.M.: Rapid shape acquisition using color structured light and multipass dynamic programming. In: 3DPVT Conference (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Lu, Z., Tai, Y., Ben-Ezra, M., Brown, M.S.: A Framework for Ultra High Resolution 3D Imaging. In: CVPR Conference (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Klaudiny, M., Hilton, A., Edge, J.: High-detail 3D capture of facial performance. In: 3DPVT Conference (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhang, Z.: Flexible Camera Calibration by Viewing a Plane from Unknown Orientations. In: ICCV Conference (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Kil, Y., Mederos, Y., Amenta, N.: Laser scanner super-resolution. In: Eurographics Symposium on Point-Based Graphics (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Schuon, S., Theobalt, C., Davis, J., Thrun, S.: LidarBoost: Depth Superresolution for ToF 3D Shape Scanning. In: CVPR Conference (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Myronenko, A., Song, X., Carreira-Perpinan, M.A.: Non-rigid point set registration: Coherent Point Drift. In: NIPS Conference (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Cui, Y., Schuon, S., Chan, D., Thrun, S., Theobalt, C.: 3D Shape Scanning with a Time-of-Flight Camera. In: 3DPVT Conference (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Farsiu, S., Robinson, D., Elad, M., Milanfar, P.: Fast and robust multi-frame super-resolution. IEEE Trans. Image Processing (2004)Google Scholar