Multi-camera 3D Scanning with a Non-rigid and Space-Time Depth Super-Resolution Capability
3D imaging sensors for the acquisition of three dimensional faces have created, in recent years, a considerable degree of interest for a number of applications. Structured light camera/projector systems are often used to overcome the relatively uniform appearance of skin. In this paper, we propose a 3D acquisition solution with a 3D space-time non-rigid super-resolution capability, using three calibrated cameras coupled with a non calibrated projector device, which is particularly suited to 3D face scanning, i.e. rapid, easily movable and robust to ambient lighting conditions. The proposed solution is a hybrid stereovision and phase-shifting approach, using two shifted patterns and a texture image, which not only takes advantage of the assets of stereovision and structured light but also overcomes their weaknesses. The super-resolution process is performed to deal with 3D artifacts and to complete the 3D scanned view in the presence of small non-rigid deformations as facial expressions. The experimental results demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed approach.
KeywordsStereovision Phase-shifting Space-time Multi-camera Super-resolution Non-rigid matching 3D frames
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Zhang, L., Curless, B., Seitz, S.M.: Rapid shape acquisition using color structured light and multipass dynamic programming. In: 3DPVT Conference (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Ouji, K., Ardabilian, M., Chen, L., Ghorbel, F.: Pattern Analysis for an Automatic and Low-Cost 3D Face Acquisition Technique. In: ACIVS Conference, pp. 666–673 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Lu, Z., Tai, Y., Ben-Ezra, M., Brown, M.S.: A Framework for Ultra High Resolution 3D Imaging. In: CVPR Conference (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Klaudiny, M., Hilton, A., Edge, J.: High-detail 3D capture of facial performance. In: 3DPVT Conference (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang, Z.: Flexible Camera Calibration by Viewing a Plane from Unknown Orientations. In: ICCV Conference (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Kil, Y., Mederos, Y., Amenta, N.: Laser scanner super-resolution. In: Eurographics Symposium on Point-Based Graphics (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Schuon, S., Theobalt, C., Davis, J., Thrun, S.: LidarBoost: Depth Superresolution for ToF 3D Shape Scanning. In: CVPR Conference (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Myronenko, A., Song, X., Carreira-Perpinan, M.A.: Non-rigid point set registration: Coherent Point Drift. In: NIPS Conference (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Farsiu, S., Robinson, D., Elad, M., Milanfar, P.: Fast and robust multi-frame super-resolution. IEEE Trans. Image Processing (2004)Google Scholar