A Cartography of Spatial Relationships in a Symbolic Image Database
This work addresses the problem of the representation of spatial relationships between symbolic objects in images. We have studied the distribution of several categories of relationships in LabelMe, a public database of images where objects are annotated manually and online by users. Our objective is to build a cartography of the spatial relationships that can be encountered in a representative database of images of heterogeneous content, with the main aim of exploiting it in future applications of Content-Based Image Indexing (CBIR), such as object recognition or retrieval. In this paper, we present the framework of the experiments made and give an overview of the main results obtained, as an introduction to the website dedicated to this work, whose ambition is to make available all these statistics to the CBIR community.
KeywordsSymbolic image Spatial relationships Cartography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Egenhofer, M.J., Al-Taha, K.K.: Reasoning about gradual changes of topological relationships. In: Proc. of the International Conference GIS, pp. 196–219. Springer, Heidelberg (1992)Google Scholar
- 2.Hoàng, N.V., Gouet-Brunet, V., Rukoz, M.: A cartography of spatial relationships in a symbolic image database. Note de recherche du LAMSADE, Universite Paris-Dauphine (April 2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Huang, P., Lee, C.: Image Database Design Based on 9D-SPA Representation for Spatial Relations. TKDE 16(12), 1486–1496 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Mayhew, D.: Principles and guidelines in software user interface design. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Nabil, M., Shepherd, J., Ngu, A.H.H.: 2D projection interval relationships: A symbolic representation of spatial relationships. In: Symposium on Large Spatial Databases, pp. 292–309 (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.Park, J., Govindaraju, V., Srihari, S.N.: Genetic engineering of hierarchical fuzzy regional representations for handwritten character recognition. International Journal on Document Analysis and Recognition (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Wang, W., Zhang, A., Song, Y.: Identification of objects from image regions. In: Int. Conf. on Multimedia and Expo. (2003)Google Scholar