Support-Based Distributed Optimisation: An Approach to Radiotherapy Scheduling
- 845 Downloads
The public health system is plagued by inefficient use of resources. Frequently, the results are lengthy patient treatment waiting times. While many solutions for patient scheduling in health systems exist, few address the problem of coordination between independent autonomous departments. In this study, we describe the use of a distributed dynamic constraint optimisation algorithm (Support Based Distributed Optimisation) for the generation and optimisation of schedules across autonomous units. We model the problem of scheduling radiotherapy patients across several independent oncology units as a dynamic distributed constraint optimisation problem. Such an approach minimises the sharing of private information such as department operation details as well as patient privacy information while taking into consideration patient preferences as well as resource utilisation to find a pareto-optimal solution.
KeywordsSchedule Problem Time Slot Constraint Satisfaction Problem Public Health System Patient Schedule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Billiau, G., Chang, C.F., Ghose, A.: Sbdo: A new robust approach to dynamic distributed constraint optimisation. In: PRIMA 2010, pp. 1–8 (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Chechetka, A., Sycara, K.: No-commitment branch and bound search for distributed constraint optimization. In: AAMAS 2006, pp. 1427–1429 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Harvey, P.: Solving Very Large Distributed Constraint Satisfaction Problems. PhD thesis, University of Wollongong (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Mertens, K.: An Ant-Based Approach for Solving Dynamic Constraint Optimization Problems. PhD thesis, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (December 2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Paulussen, T.O., Jennings, N.R., Decker, K.S., Heinzl, A.: Distributed patient scheduling in hospitals. In: IJCAI, pp. 1224–1232 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Petcu, A., Faltings, B.: Dpop: A scalable method for multiagent constraint optimization. In: IJCAI 2005, pp. 266–271 (August 2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Spectrasoft, http://spectrasoft.com/practice-management-software/ (accessed September 12, 2010)
- 12.Vermeulen, I., Bohte, S., Somefun, K., La Poturé, H.: Multi-agent pareto appointment exchanging in hospital patient scheduling. In: Service Oriented Computing and Applications, vol. 1, pp. 185–196. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar