Promoting e-Health Resources: Lessons Learned
The increase in the number of online health resources and in particular medical digital libraries has made a wealth of information available to health professionals. Previous research has mainly concentrated on the usability and development of the resource but often, the continued promotion of the site and how to increase the levels of usage over an extended period are overlooked. In this paper we present a number of factors that have influenced the levels of usage on the National electronic Library of Infection (NeLI) family of websites. These include active promotional techniques such as attendance at conferences and eNewsletters but also passive factors such as referrals from other sites. The impact of these factors on usage levels of the sites are detailed and discussed further.
KeywordsMedical Digital Libraries Weblogs Promotion Swine Flu
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Madle, G., Kostkova, P., Mani-Saada, J.: Evaluating the Online Activity and Searching Behaviour of Users of a Medical Digital Library. In: The Proceedings of the 2nd Healthcare Digital Libraries Workshop (HDL 2004) at ECDL 2004, Bath, UK (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Borgman, C.L., Smart, L.J., Millwood, K.A., Finley, J.R., Champeny, L., Gilliland, A.J., Leazer, G.H.: Comparing faculty information seeking in teaching and research: implications for the design of digital libraries. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 56(6), 636–657 (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Blandford, A., Buchanan, G.: Usability of digital libraries: a source of creative tensions with technical developments. IEEE-CS Technical Committee on Digital Libraries’ on-line newsletter (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.National electronic Library of Infection (NeLI), http://www.neli.org.uk/
- 9.Bollen, J., Luce, R.: Evaluation of digital library impact and user communities by analysis of usage patterns. D-Lib Magazine 8(6) (2002), http://www.dlib.org/dlib/june02/bollen/06bollen.html
- 12.Carroll, N.: Search Engine Optimization, 3rd edn., pp. 4613–4629. Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences (2010)Google Scholar