Lung Texture Classification Using Locally–Oriented Riesz Components
We develop a texture analysis framework to assist radiologists in interpreting high–resolution computed tomography (HRCT) images of the lungs of patients affected with interstitial lung diseases (ILD). Novel texture descriptors based on the Riesz transform are proposed to analyze lung texture without any assumption on prevailing scales and orientations. A global classification accuracy of 78.3% among five lung tissue types is achieved using locally–oriented Riesz components. Comparative performance analysis with features derived from optimized grey–level co–occurrence matrices showed an absolute gain of 6.1% in classification accuracy. The adaptability of the Riesz features is demonstrated by reconstructing templates according to the first principal components of the lung textures. The balanced performance achieved among the various lung textures suggest that the proposed methods can complement human observers in HRCT interpretation, and opens interesting perspectives for future research.
KeywordsTexture analysis Riesz transform interstitial lung diseases high–resolution computed tomography computer–aided diagnosis
- 4.Webb, W.R., Müller, N.L., Naidich, D.P.: High–Resolution CT of the Lung. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Depeursinge, A.: Affine–invariant texture analysis and retrieval of 3D medical images with clinical context integration. PhD thesis, University of Geneva (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Caban, J.J., Yao, J., Avila, N.A., Fontana, J.R., Manganiello, V.C.: Texture–based computer–aided diagnosis system for lung fibrosis. In: Giger, M.L., Karssemeijer, N. (eds.) Medical Imaging 2007: Computer–Aided Diagnosis, vol. 6514. SPIE, San Jose (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Depeursinge, A., Sage, D., Hidki, A., Platon, A., Poletti, P.A., Unser, M., Müller, H.: Lung tissue classification using Wavelet frames. In: Conf. Proc. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Soc., pp. 6259–6262. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2007)Google Scholar
- 16.Depeursinge, A., Vargas, A., Platon, A., Geissbuhler, A., Poletti, P.A., Müller, H.: Building a reference multimedia database for interstitial lung diseases. Comput. Med. Imaging. Graph. (to appear)Google Scholar