Parallel Evolutionary Algorithms for Stock Market Trading Rule Selection on Many-Core Graphics Processors
This chapter concerns stock market decision support systems that build trading expertise on the basis of a set of specific trading rules, analysing financial time series of recent stock price quotations, and focusses on the process of rule selection. It proposes an improvement of two popular evolutionary algorithms for rule selection by reinforcing them with two local search operators. The algorithms are also adapted for parallel processing on many-core graphics processors. Using many-core graphics processors enables not only a reduction in the computing time, but also an exhaustive local search, which significantly improves solution quality, without increasing computing time. Experiments carried out on data from the Paris Stock Exchange confirmed that the approach proposed outperforms the classic approach, in terms of the financial relevance of the investment strategies discovered as well as in terms of the computing time.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baluja, S.: Population-Based Incremental Learning: A Method for Integrating Genetic Search Based Function Optimization and Competitive Learning. Research Report CMU-CS-94-163 Carnegie Mellon University (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Dempsey, I., O’Neill, M., Brabazon, A.: Adaptive Trading with Grammatical Evolution. In: Proceedings of the 2006 Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC 2006), pp. 2587–2592. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Loraschi, A., Tettamanzi, A.: An Evolutionary Algorithm for Portfolio Selection within a Downside Risk Framework. In: Dunis, C.L. (ed.) Forecasting Financial Markets, pp. 275–286. Wiley, Chichester (1996)Google Scholar
- 13.Murphy, J.: Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets NUIF (1998)Google Scholar
- 16.Tsang, E., Li, J., Markose, S., Er, H., Salhi, A., Iori, G.: EDDIE In Financial Decision Making. Journal of Management and Economics 4(4) (2000)Google Scholar
- 17.Wahib, M., Munawar, A., Munetomo, M., Akama, K.: A Bayesian Optimization Algorithm for De Novo ligand design based docking running over GPU. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC 2010), pp. 1–8. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (2010)Google Scholar