In Silico Simulator as a Tool for Designing of Insulin Pump Control Algorithm
The Diabetes Mellitous treatment is becoming more important issue due to significantly increasing number of affected persons. There is a need for new methods that will facilitate treatment and improve life quality of diabetic patients. An automatic insulin pump control is one of possible solutions. This paper concerns in silico test as a tool for investigation for such control. The most important facts about in silico trials and in silico simulator are discussed. Shown differences of in silico subject response to meal / insulin scenario indicates need for individualized insulin pump control algorithm. Benefits of premeal insulin delivery and inter-individual metabolism differences prove that concept of intelligent control algorithm that “learns” typical day of patient would be a great medical tool.
KeywordsControl Algorithm Continuous Glucose Monitoring Glucose Sensor Virtual Patient Continuous Glucose Monitoring System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.WHO Fact sheet N°312, WHO Word Wide Web, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs312/en/
- 2.Hawłas, H.J., Lewenstein, K.: The Design of an Insulin Pump – Preliminary Requirement. In: Recent Advances in Mechatronics, Part 4, pp. 329–334 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Kovatchev, B., Breton, M., Man, C.D., Cobelli, C.: In Silico Preclinical Trials A Proof of Concept in Closed-Loop Control of Type 1 Diabetes. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology 3(1), 44–55 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.UVa T1DM simulator user guide Google Scholar
- 6.Frequently Asked Questions about the UVa Type1 Metabolic Simulator Google Scholar
- 7.FreeStyle Navigator, Abbott Word Wide Web, http://www.freestylenavigator.com/index.htm
- 8.Guardian® RT Continuous Glucose Monitoring System, Medtronic Word Wide Web, http://wwwp.medtronic.com/newsroom/content/1168605107804.pdf
- 9.7-day sensor, Dexcom Word Wide Web, Navigate to menu The SEVEN Difference, http://www.dexcom.com
- 10.OmniPod Insulin Management System, Insulet Corp. Word Wide Web, http://www.myomnipod.com/
- 11.Deltec Cozmo®, Smiths Medical MD Word Wide Web, http://www.smiths-medical.com/landing-pages/promotions/md/coz-home.html
- 12.Clarke, W., Kovatchev, B.: Statistical Tools to Analyze Continuous Glucose Monitor Data. Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics 11(suppl. 1), 45–54 (2009)Google Scholar