A Visual Environment for Designing and Running Data Mining Workflows in the Knowledge Grid
Data mining tasks are often composed by multiple stages that may be linked each other to form various execution flows. Moreover, data mining tasks are often distributed since they involve data and tools located over geographically distributed environments, like the Grid. Therefore, it is fundamental to exploit effective formalisms, such as workflows, to model data mining tasks that are both multi-staged and distributed. The goal of this work is defining a workflow formalism and providing a visual software environment, named DIS3GNO, to design and execute distributed data mining tasks over the Knowledge Grid, a service-oriented framework for distributed data mining on the Grid. DIS3GNO supports all the phases of a distributed data mining task, including composition, execution, and results visualization. The paper provides a description of DIS3GNO, some relevant use cases implemented by it, and a performance evaluation of the system.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Foster, I.: Globus Toolkit Version 4: Software for service-oriented systems. In: Conf. on Network and Parallel Computing, pp. 2–13 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhou, Z.H.: Semi-supervised learning by disagreement. In: 4th IEEE International Conference on Granular Computing, p. 93 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Tan, P.N., Steinbach, M., Kumar, V.: Introduction to Data Mining. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Fahringer, T., Jugravu, A., Pllana, S., Prodan, R., Seragiotto Junior, C., Truong, H.L.: ASKALON: A Tool Set for Cluster and Grid Computing. Concurrency and Computation: Practice & Experience 17(2-4) (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Altintas, I., Berkley, C., Jaeger, E., Jones, M., Ludascher, B., Mock, S.: Kepler: an extensible system for design and execution of scientific workflows. In: 16th International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Deelman, E., Blythe, J., Gil, Y., Kesselman, C., Mehta, G., Patil, S., Su, M.-H., Vahi, K., Livny, M.: Pegasus: Mapping Scientific Workflows onto the Grid. In: Across Grids Conference (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Shields, M., Taylor, I.: Programming Scientific and Distributed Workflow with Triana Services. In: Workflow in Grid Systems Workshop in GGF 2010 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Lackovic, M., Talia, D., Trunfio, P.: A Framework for Composing Knowledge Discovery Workflows in Grids. In: Abraham, A., Hassanien, A., Carvalho, A., Snel, V. (eds.) Foundations of Computational Intelligence, Data Mining Theoretical Foundations and Applications. SCI. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.BPEL4WS. Business Process Execution Language for Web Services. See, http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/specification/ws-bpel/