3D Hand Shape Modeling for Automatic Assessing Motor Performance in Parkinson’s Disease
In this paper a method for hand pattern processing to create a 3D hand model is presented. By applying a complete hand armature to the model obtained, an interpolation of three motor tests for an individual Parkinson’s disease patient can be performed. To obtain the 3D hand model the top view of the hand from a web cam is analyzed. The hand contour is examined to find characteristic points that allows for dividing hand image into three subareas: metacarpus, thumb and fingers. These are processed separately to produce a list of necessary vertices. Then polygons are modeled by grouping vertices into vectors of four values corresponding to the vertex indices. The third dimension is introduced by adding z coordinate to each vertex. The modeling results in a list of vertices and polygons that is then used for forming the reference animation.
KeywordsParkinson’s Disease UPDRS 3D modeling animation movement analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A Disease A Day: Parkinson Disease description, http://www.diseaseaday.com/brain/parkinsons-disease-1-out-of-100-people-over-age-60
- 2.Allen, C., Su, Y., Geng, D.: 3d hand modelling and analysis using data-gloves: theory and its application in Parkinson’s disease. Acta of Bioengineering and Biomechanics 4, 4–30 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Blender Foundation: Animation basis, http://www.blender.org
- 4.Christe, P., Burkhard, P., Pegna, A., Mayer, E.C.H.: Clinical assessment of motor function: a processes oriented instrument based on a speed-accuracy trade-off paradigm. Behavioural Neurology 18, 19–29 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Dahl, C.: Modeling human hand, http://plissken.fatalunity.com/tutorials/subdiv/
- 6.Eathon, C.: Hand anathomy, http://www.eatonhand.com/hom/hom033.htm
- 7.Movement Disorder Virtual University: Unified Parkinson’s Disease Rating Scale, http://www.mdvu.org/library/ratingscales/pd
- 8.National Science and Technology Council: Biometrics—hand geometry, http://www.biometrics.gov/documents/handgeometry.pdf
- 9.Okuno, R., Akazawa, K., Sakoda, S.: Finger taps movement acceleration Measurement System for Quantitative Diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease. In: Proceedings 28th IEEE EMBS Annual International Conference, New York, USA, pp. 6623–6626 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.OpenCV Wiki: OpenCV Library Documentation, http://opencv.willowpage.com/documentation/cpp/index.html
- 11.Vanicek, P., and Wells, D. E.: Least Mean Square Approximation, http://gge.unb.ca/Pubs/LN22.pdf