Integrating Internet Protocol Television and Social Networking
Elderly people comprise the highest proportion of television viewers. However, they often struggle with new technologies and often out-rightly reject them due to their complexity. We propose a system to help people, especially the elderly, keep up with new technologies, such as IPTV and social networks with reduced efforts. This system integrates IPTV and social networking website with an interface using mobile phone. Speech to text technology is used as input to reduce the difficulty involved in interaction while viewing television. As speech is a more convenient and natural way of expression than text, we anticipate that people in all age groups would benefit from the system.
KeywordsMobile Phone Smart Phone Mobile Client Television Viewer Index Page
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Berthiaume, D.: MarketingChart, http://www.marketingcharts.com/direct/85-of-us-adults-have-cell-phone-15958/pew-cell-phone-actions-feb-2011jpg/ (retrieved on February 9, 2011)
- 2.Cesar, P., Chorianopoulos, K., Jensen, J. (eds.): Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Interactive Tv: a Shared Experience, p. 74.8. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Elderly and the Media - Aging and Levels of Viewing, What Do Older Adults Watch? Other Media Use, http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/articles/pages/6515/Elderly-and-the-Media.html (retrieved on February 9, 2011)
- 4.Grove, J.V.: Baby Boomers and Seniors Are Flocking to Facebook (STATS), http://mashable.com/2010/01/28/baby-boomers-social-media/ (retrieved on February 9, 2011)
- 6.IPTV, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPTV (retrieved on December 12, 2010)
- 7.Jacko, J. (ed.): Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Intelligent Multimodal Interaction Environments, p. 979. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Reuters. Elder like Twitter, Too (February 9, 2011), http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2349535,00.asp
- 9.Sditch. Prime time tv viewers by age demographics, http://www-958.ibm.com/software/data/cognos/manyeyes/visualizations/prime-time-tv-viewers-by-age-demog (retrieved on February 9, 2011)
- 12.Epp, C.D.: Protutor: A pronunciation tutor that uses historic open learner models. M.Sc. Thesis, University of Saskatchewan, Canada (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.List of Speech recognition software, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_speech_recognition_software (retrieved on March 29, 2011)