Service Oriented Architecture Applied to Provide Inter-operability between Macedonian MoD and NATO
In this paper we present SOA (Service oriented architecture) that we are developing to enable interoperability between Macedonian Ministry of Defence (MoD) and NATO. First we give a brief overview of Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) and an explanation of how it can be used for the Ministry of Defense purposes. MoD uses IEEE 1472 definition of an architecture description to define a standard approach to describing, presenting, and integrating a defense architecture that can be used with a service oriented approach to capability based planning. The principal objective of our work is to ensure that architecture descriptions can be compared and related across organizational boundaries, including NATO and multi-national boundaries. SOA can provide easier identifying of required capabilities, the ways (operational activities), the means (human or system services) and the conditions (under which capability is required).
KeywordsService Orient Architecture Simple Object Access Protocol Architecture Description Defense Purpose Future Generation Computer System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sliwa, J., Gleba, T.K., Amanowitz, M.: Adaptation Framework for Web Services Provision in Tactical Environment. Concepts and Implementations for Innovative Military Communication, 52–67 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Tolk, A., Gaskins, R.C.: Challenges and Potential of Service-Oriented Architectures for Net-Centric Operations. In: Virtual Media for Military Applications, pp. 1–14 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Winters, L.S., Tolk, A.: The Integration of Modeling and Simulation with Joint Command and Control on the Global Information Grid. In: Proceedings IEEE Spring Simulation Interoperability Workshop. IEEE CS Press, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Ang, H.W., Dandashi, F., McFarren, M.: Tailoring DODAF for Service-Oriented Architectures, Mitre Corporation Report, McLean, Virginia (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.OASIS Web Services Notification (WSN) Technical Committee (2006), http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=wsn
- 7.NATO RTO Technical Report IST-061, Secure Service Oriented Architectures supporting NEC (2009)Google Scholar