Can Everybody Sit Closer to Their Friends Than Their Enemies?
Signed graphs are graphs with signed edges. They are commonly used to represent positive and negative relationships in social networks. While balance theory and clusterizable graphs deal with signed graphs, recent empirical studies have proved that they fail to reflect some current practices in real social networks. In this paper we address the issue of drawing signed graphs and capturing such social interactions. We relax the previous assumptions to define a drawing as a model in which every vertex has to be placed closer to its neighbors connected through a positive edge than its neighbors connected through a negative edge in the resulting space. Based on this definition, we address the problem of deciding whether a given signed graph has a drawing in a given ℓ-dimensional Euclidean space. We focus on the 1-dimensional case, where we provide a polynomial time algorithm that decides if a given complete signed graph has a drawing, and provides it when applicable.
KeywordsSigned graphs graph embedding graph drawing structural balance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.Harary, F., Kabell, J.A.: Counting balanced signed graphs using marked graphs. In: Proceedings of the Edinburgh Mathematical Society, vol. 24(2), pp. 99–104 (1981)Google Scholar
- 11.Kunegis, J., Schmidt, S., Lommatzsch, A., Lerner, J., De Luca, E.W., Albayrak, S.: Spectral analysis of signed graphs for clustering, prediction and visualization. In: SDM, page 559 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Lauterbach, D., Truong, H., Shah, T., Adamic, L.A.: Surfing a web of trust: Reputation and reciprocity on couchsurfing.com. In: CSE (4), pp. 346–353 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Leskovec, J., Huttenlocher, D.P., Kleinberg, J.M.: Governance in social media: A case study of the wikipedia promotion process. In: ICWSM 2010 (2010)Google Scholar
- 14.Leskovec, J., Huttenlocher, D.P., Kleinberg, J.M.: Predicting positive and negative links in online social networks. In: WWW 2010, pp. 641–650 (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Leskovec, J., Huttenlocher, D.P., Kleinberg, J.M.: Signed networks in social media. In: CHI 2010, pp. 1361–1370 (2010)Google Scholar