A Verified Runtime for a Verified Theorem Prover
Theorem provers, such as ACL2, HOL, Isabelle and Coq, rely on the correctness of runtime systems for programming languages like ML, OCaml or Common Lisp. These runtime systems are complex and critical to the integrity of the theorem provers.
In this paper, we present a new Lisp runtime which has been formally verified and can run the Milawa theorem prover. Our runtime consists of 7,500 lines of machine code and is able to complete a 4 gigabyte Milawa proof effort. When our runtime is used to carry out Milawa proofs, less unverified code must be trusted than with any other theorem prover.
Our runtime includes a just-in-time compiler, a copying garbage collector, a parser and a printer, all of which are HOL4-verified down to the concrete x86 code. We make heavy use of our previously developed tools for machine-code verification. This work demonstrates that our approach to machine-code verification scales to non-trivial applications.
KeywordsTheorem Prover Garbage Collection Error Message Input Stream Runtime System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Boyer, R.S., Hunt Jr., W.A.: Function memoization and unique object representation for ACL2 functions. In: ACL2 2006. ACM, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Chlipala, A.J.: A verified compiler for an impure functional language. In: Hermenegildo, M.V., Palsberg, J. (eds.) POPL. ACM, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Davis, J.C.: A Self-Verifying Theorem Prover. PhD thesis, University of Texas at Austin (December 2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Harrison, J.: Metatheory and reflection in theorem proving: A survey and critique. Technical Report CRC-053, SRI Cambridge, Cambridge, UK (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.Kaufmann, M., Manolios, P., Moore, J.S.: Computer-Aided Reasoning: An Approach. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2000)Google Scholar
- 14.Leroy, X.: Formal certification of a compiler back-end, or: programming a compiler with a proof assistant. In: Morrisett, J.G., Jones, S.L.P. (eds.) POPL. ACM, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.McCreight, A., Chevalier, T., Tolmach, A.P.: A certified framework for compiling and executing garbage-collected languages. In: Hudak, P., Weirich, S. (eds.) ICFP. ACM, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Myreen, M.O.: Verified just-in-time compiler on x86. In: Hermenegildo, M.V., Palsberg, J. (eds.) POPL. ACM, New York (2010)Google Scholar