Bi-Objective Community Detection (BOCD) in Networks Using Genetic Algorithm
A lot of research effort has been put into community detection from all corners of academic interest such as physics, mathematics and computer science. In this paper I have proposed a Bi-Objective Genetic Algorithm for community detection which maximizes modularity and community score. Then the results obtained for both benchmark and real life data sets are compared with other algorithms using the modularity and MNI performance metrics. The results show that the BOCD algorithm is capable of successfully detecting community structure in both real life and synthetic datasets, as well as improving upon the performance of previous techniques.
KeywordsCommunity Structure Community detection Genetic Algorithm Multi-objective Genetic Algorithm Multi-objective optimization modularity Normalized Mutual Information Bi-objective Genetic Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Wu, A.Y., Garland, M., Han, J.: Mining scale-free networks using geodesic clustering. In: Proceedings of the Tenth ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 719–724. ACM Press, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Perkins, C.E.: Ad Hoc Networking. Addison-Wesley Professional, Reading (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Steenstrup, M.: Cluster-Based Networks. In: Perkins, C.E. (ed.) Ad Hoc Networking, pp. 75–138. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Holland, J.H.: Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems: An Introductory Analysis with Applications to Biology, Control, and Artificial Intelligence. MIT Press, Cambridge (1992)Google Scholar
- 11.Tasgin, M., Herdagdelen, A., Bingol, H.: Community detection in complex networks using genetic algorithms, http://arxiv.org/abs/0711.0491
- 16.Park, Y.J., Song, M.S.: A genetic algorithm for clustering problems. In: Proceedings of the 3rd Annual Conf. Genetic Programming, pp. 568–575. Morgan Kauffman, San Francisco (1998)Google Scholar
- 22.Danon, L., Duch, J., Diaz-Guilera, A., Arenas, A.: Comparing community structure identification. Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment, 9008 (2005)Google Scholar