Trends in Network and Communications pp 378-387
A Novel VLSI Implementation of K-Best LSD for 3GPP LTE
In this paper, Distributed Arithmetic (DA) based K-best List Sphere Detector (LSD) for a 3GPP Long Term Evolution (LTE) receiver is proposed. The K-best LSD block implemented with the use of DA, reduces the size of the parallel hardware multiply-accumulate. These DA based blocks are compared with conventional multiplier based blocks and found that the proposed design has an improvement in terms of area. This design has minimal hardware and computational complexity to meet the requirements of LTE standard. The VHDL coding for K-best LSD using DA for LTE is downloaded onto Xilinx xc3s100e-4vq100 and results were verified.
KeywordsMultiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) - Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiplexing (OFDM) 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) Long Term Evolution (LTE) sphere detector(SD) list sphere detector(LSD) Distributed Arithmetic(DA)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lee, K.F., Williams, D.B.: A space-frequency transmitter diversity technique for OFDM systems. In: Proc. Global Telecommunications Conf., San Francisco, CA, pp. 1473–1477 (November 2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Salmela, P., Antikainen, J., Anen, T.P., Siv’en, O., Takala, J.: 3G Long TermEvolution Baseband Processing with Application-Specific Processors. International Journal of Digital Multimedia Broadcasting, Article ID 503130, 13 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Timmermann, D., Hahn, H., Hosticka, B.J.: The Role of Distributed Arithmetic in FPGA-based Signal Processing. IEEE Transactions on Computers (August 1992)Google Scholar
- 4.Antikainen, J., Salmela, P., Silvent, O.: Fine-grained Application-specific Instruction Set Processor Design for the K-best List Sphere Detector Algorithm. In: Proc. Global Telecommunications Conf., San Francisco, CA, pp. 1473–1477 (November 2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Wong, K., Tsui, C., Cheng, R.K., Mow, W.: A VLSI architecture of a K-best lattice decoding algorithm for MIMO channels. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Circuits and Systems, Scottsdale, AZ, May 26-29, vol. 3, pp. 273–276 (2002)Google Scholar