A Survey of Recent Intrusion Detection Systems for Wireless Sensor Network
Security of Wireless sensor network (WSN) becomes a very important issue with the rapid development of WSN that is vulnerable to a wide range of attacks due to deployment in the hostile environment and having limited resources.Intrusion detection system is one of the major and efficient defensive methods against attacks in WSN. A particularly devastating attack is the sleep deprivation attack, where a malicious node forces legitimate nodes to waste their energy by resisting the sensor nodes from going into low power sleep mode. The goal of this attack is to maximize the power consumption of the target node, thereby decreasing its battery life. Existing works on sleep deprivation attack have mainly focused on mitigation using MAC based protocols, such as S-MAC, T-MAC, B-MAC, etc. In this article, a brief review of some of the recent intrusion detection systems in wireless sensor network environment is presented. Finally, we propose a framework of cluster based layered countermeasure that can efficiently mitigate sleep deprivation attack in WSN. Simulation results on MATLAB exhibit the effectiveness of the proposed model in detecting sleep-deprivation attacks.
KeywordsWSN Sleep Deprivation Attack Cluster IDS Insomnia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mao, Y.: A Semantic-based Intrusion Detection Framework for Wireless Sensor Network. In: 6th International Conference on Networked Computing (INC), Gyeongju, Korea, South (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Misra, S., Venkata Krishna, P., Abraham, K.I.: Energy Efficient Learning Solution for Intrusion Detection in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the 2nd international conference on Communication systems and Networks COMSNETS 2010 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Crosby, G.V., Hester, L., Pissinou, N.: Location-aware, Trust-based Detection and Isolation of Compromised Nodes in Wireless Sensor Networks. International Journal of Network Security 12(2), 107–117 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Chen, R.-C., Hsieh, C.-F., Huang, Y.-F.: An Isolation Intrusion Detection System for Hierarchical Wireless Sensor Network. Journal of Networks 5(3) (March 2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Chen, R.-C., Huang, Y.-F., Hsieh, C.-F.: Ranger Intrusion Detection System for Wireless Sensor Networks with Sybil Attack Based on Ontology. New Aspects of Applied Informatics, Biomedical Electronics and Informatics and Communications (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Mamun, M.S.I., Sultanul Kabir, A.F.M.: Hierarchical Design Based Intrusion Detection System For Wireless Ad Hoc Sensor Network. International Journal of Network Security & Its Applications (IJNSA) 2(3) (July 2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Yan, K.Q., Wang, S.C., Liu, C.W.: A Hybrid Intrusion Detection System of Cluster-based Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists, IMECS 2009, Hong Kong, March 18 - 20, vol. I (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Atakli, I.M., Hu, H., Chen, Y., Ku, W.-S., Su, Z.: Malicious Node Detection in Wireless Sensor Networks using Weighted Trust Evaluation. In: The Symposium on Simulation of Systems Security (SSSS 2008), Ottawa, Canada, April 14 –17 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Huo, G., Wang, X.: DIDS: A Dynamic Model of Intrusion Detection System in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: IEEE, International Conference on Information and Automation, Zhangjiajie, China, June 20 –23 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Techateerawat, P., Jennings, A.: Energy Efficiency of Intrusion Detection Systems in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: IEEE WIC 2006 (2006)Google Scholar