Multihop Performance of Cooperative Preamble Sampling MAC(CPS-MAC) in Wireless Sensor Networks
Cooperative communication(CC) is a promising technique to combat fading in a wireless environment. In our previous work, we proposed Cooperative Preamble Sampling(CPS)-Medium Access Control(MAC) protocol which highlighted the benefits of using CC in Wireless Sensor Networks(WSN). Initially, CPS-MAC performance was evaluated in a 3-node network comprising a single source, partner, and destination node.
In this paper, we evaluate the performance of CPS-MAC in a multi-hop WSN configuration, where a large number of sensor nodes are deployed around a sink to create a data gathering network. All nodes generate traffic, which leads to channel contention, collisions, and idle listening. Results show that, under light traffic load, CPS-MAC performs on par with non-cooperative preamble sampling protocol and performs significantly higher as traffic load increases.
KeywordsCooperative Communication Medium Access Control Preamble Sampling Wireless Sensor Networks Reliability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Khan, R.A.M., Karl, H.: Cooperative Communication to Improve Reliability and Efficient Neighborhood Wakeup in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proc. of the Fourth International Conference on Mobile Ubiquitous Computing (UBICOMM 2010) (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Yi, L., Hong, J.: A New Cooperative Communication MAC Strategy for Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. In: ACIS International Conference on Computer and Information Science, pp. 569–574. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Meier, A., Thompson, J.S.: Cooperative Diversity in Wireless Networks. In: 6th IEE International Conference on 3G and Beyond, 2005, pp. 1–5 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.El-Hoiydi, A.: Aloha with preamble sampling for sporadic traffic in ad hoc wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications, ICC 2002 (Cat. No.02CH37333), New York, NY, USA, pp. 3418–3423 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.OMNET++ discrete event simulator (June 2010), http://www.omnetpp.org