In Silico Investigation into CD8Treg Mediated Recovery in Murine Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis
Experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) is an animal model of human autoimmune diseases in general, and multiple sclerosis (MS) in particular . The animal disease is mediated through a network of cells; encephalitogenic CDThelper (CD4Th1) cells are activated in the peripheral lymph nodes following immunization for EAE, and migrate to the central nervous system where they induce activation of microglia, macrophages and dendritic cells (DCs). The resultant inflammation causes demyelination of neurons, prompting the presentation of myelin basic protein (MBP) to additional encephalitogenic T cell populations in the cervical lymph nodes by migratory DCs. The spontaneous recovery that occurs following autoimmune episodes is associated with the induction of apoptosis in encephalitogenic CD4Th1 cells by a CD8 regulatory T cell (CD8Treg) population [1,6]. Tang et al  demonstrated a mechanism where CD4Treg cells assist DCs in priming CD8Treg cells, which mediate down-regulation of the autoimmune response through selective apoptotic elimination of CD4Th1 cells.
KeywordsExperimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis Myelin Basic Protein Autoimmune Response Peripheral Lymph Node Peptide Presentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Read, M., Andrews, P., Timmis, J., Kumar, V.: Techniques for grounding agent-based simulations in the real domain: a case study in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Mathematical and Computer Modelling of Dynamical Systems (accepted)Google Scholar
- 4.Read, M., Timmis, J., Andrews, P.S., Kumar, V.: A domain model of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. In: Stepney, S., Welch, P.H., Andrews, P.S., Timmis, J. (eds.) CoSMoS, pp. 9–44. Luniver Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Read, M., Timmis, J., Andrews, P.S., Kumar, V.: An in-silico simulation of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (in Preparation)Google Scholar
- 7.Tang, X., Kumar, V.: Specific control of immunity by regulatory CD8 T cells. Cellular and Molecular Immunology 2, 11–19 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Vargha, A., Delaney, H.D.: A critique and improvement of the CL common language effect size statistics of McGraw and Wong. Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics 25, 101–132 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Williams, R.A. In Silico Experimentation using Simulation of Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis. Master’s Thesis, University of York, York, UK (2010)Google Scholar