TOES: A Taxonomy-Based Opinion Extraction System
Feature-based opinion extraction is a task related to opinion mining and information extraction which consists of automatically extracting feature-level representations of opinions from subjective texts. In the last years, some researchers have proposed domain-independent solutions to this task. Most of them identify the feature being reviewed by a set of words from the text. Rather than that, we propose a domain-adaptable opinion extraction system based on feature taxonomies (a semantic representation of the opinable parts and attributes of an object) which extracts feature-level opinions and maps them into the taxonomy. The opinions thus obtained can be easily aggregated for summarization and visualization. In order to increase precision and recall of the extraction system, we define a set of domain-specific resources which capture valuable knowledge about how people express opinions on each feature from the taxonomy for a given domain. These resources are automatically induced from a set of annotated documents. The modular design of our architecture allows building either domain-specific or domain-independent opinion extraction systems. According to some experimental results, using the domain-specific resources leads to far better precision and recall, at the expense of some manual effort.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baccianella, S., Esuli, A., Sebastiani, F.: Sentiwordnet 3.0: An enhanced lexical resource for sentiment analysis and opinion mining. In: Proceedings of the Seventh Conference on International Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2010. European Language Resources Association (ELRA), Valletta (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Ding, X., Liu, B., Yu, P.S.: A holistic lexicon-based approach to opinion mining. In: WSDM 2008: Proceedings of the International Conference on Web search and Web Data Mining, pp. 231–240. ACM, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Hu, M., Liu, B.: Mining and summarizing customer reviews. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD), pp. 168–177 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Kamps, J., Marx, M., Mokken, R.J., De Rijke, M.: Using wordnet to measure semantic orientation of adjectives. National Institute 26, 1115–1118 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Popescu, A.-M., Etzioni, O.: Extracting product features and opinions from reviews. In: Proceedings of the Human Language Technology Conference and the Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, HLT/EMNLP (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Turney, P.: Thumbs up or thumbs down? Semantic orientation applied to unsupervised classification of reviews. In: Proceedings of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), pp. 417–424 (2002)Google Scholar