Cut Elimination for Shallow Modal Logics
Motivated by the fact that nearly all conditional logics are axiomatised by so-called shallow axioms (axioms with modal nesting depth ≤ 1) we investigate sequent calculi and cut elimination for modal logics of this type. We first provide a generic translation of shallow axioms to (one-sided, unlabelled) sequent rules. The resulting system is complete if we admit pseudo-analytic cut, i.e. cuts on modalised propositional combinations of subformulas, leading to a generic (but sub-optimal) decision procedure. In a next step, we show that, for finite sets of axioms, only a small number of cuts is needed between any two applications of modal rules. More precisely, completeness still holds if we restrict to cuts that form a tree of logarithmic height between any two modal rules. In other words, we obtain a small (Pspace-computable) representation of an extended rule set for which cut elimination holds. In particular, this entails Pspace decidability of the underlying logic if contraction is also admissible. This leads to (tight) Pspace bounds for various conditional logics.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Heuerding, A., Seyfried, M., Zimmermann, H.: Efficient loop-check for backward proof search in some non-classical propositional logics. In: Miglioli, P., Moscato, U., Ornaghi, M., Mundici, D. (eds.) TABLEAUX 1996. LNCS, vol. 1071, pp. 210–225. Springer, Heidelberg (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Lewis II, P.M., Stearns, R.E., Hartmanis, J.: Memory bounds for recognition of context-free and context-sensitive languages. In: FOCS, pp. 191–202 (1965)Google Scholar
- 8.Olivetti, N., Pozzato, G.L., Schwind, C.B.: A sequent calculus and a theorem prover for standard conditional logics. ACM Trans. Comput. Logic 8(4), 22/1–22/51 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Olivetti, N., Schwind, C.B.: A calculus and complexity bound for minimal conditional logic. In: ICTCS, pp. 384–404 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Pattinson, D., Schröder, L.: Generic modal cut elimination applied to conditional logics. In: Giese, M., Waaler, A. (eds.) TABLEAUX 2009. LNCS, vol. 5607, pp. 280–294. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Rasga, J.: Sufficient conditions for cut elimination with complexity analysis. Ann. Pure Appl.Logic 149, 81–99 (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Schröder, L., Pattinson, D.: PSPACE bounds for rank-1 modal logics. ACM Trans. Comput. Logic (TOCL) 10(2), 13:1–13:33 (2009)Google Scholar