Red for Romance, Blue for Memory
Decades of psychological research have shown that the color could affect human’s emotion and perception. However, the influence of this effect on human performance is still unknown. This study was performed to investigate and reveal the effect of the color red, blue and gray on memory through a word recognition task. When the presented video clip featured a red background, the model’s attractiveness was rated statistically higher than the other condition. The blue condition video viewers and their resulting performance on the word recognition task were better than the performances of the other color condition groups. This research implicates that a specific color has an effect on human perception and memory.
Keywordsred color memory attractiveness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bloch, P.: Seeking the ideal form: product design and consumer response. Journal of Marketing, 16–29 (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Edell, J.A., Burke, M.C.: The power of feelings in understanding advertising effects. Journal of Consumer Research, 421–433 (1987)Google Scholar
- 3.Elliot, A.J., Niesta, D.: Romantic Red: Red enhances Men’s attraction to women. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1150–1164 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Hassenzahl, M.: The Interplay of Beauty, Goodness, and Usability in Interactive Products. Human-Computer Interaction, 319–349 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Jung, I., Kim, M., Han, K.: The influence of an Attractive Female model on Male Users’ Product Ratings. In: KHCI Conference (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Knight, C.D., Powers, C., Watts, I.: The human symbolic revolution: A Darwinian account. Cambridge Archeological Journal 5, 75–119 (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Lavie, T., Tractinsky, N.: Assessing dimensions of perceived visual aesthetics of web sites. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 269–298 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Van der Heijden, H.: Factors influencing the usage of websites: The case of a generic portal in The Netherlands. Information & Management, 541-549.motion analysis. Online reference on Mikromak GmBh-WinAnalize Vendor (2003), http://www.winanalyze.com