A 1.488 Approximation Algorithm for the Uncapacitated Facility Location Problem
We present a 1.488 approximation algorithm for the metric uncapacitated facility location (UFL) problem. Previously the best algorithm was due to Byrka . By linearly combining two algorithms A1(γ f ) for γ f ≈ 1.6774 and the (1.11,1.78)-approximation algorithm A2 proposed by Jain, Mahdian and Saberi , Byrka gave a 1.5 approximation algorithm for the UFL problem. We show that if γ f is randomly selected from some distribution, the approximation ratio can be improved to 1.488. Our algorithm cuts the gap with the 1.463 approximability lower bound by almost 1/3.
KeywordsApproximation Facility Location Problem Theory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Byrka, J., Ghodsi, M., Srinivasan, A.: Lp-rounding algorithms for facility-location problems. in arxiv1007.3611 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Charikar, M., Guha, S.: Improved combinatorial algorithms for the facility location and k-median problems. In: Proceedings of the 40th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 378–388 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Guha, S., Khuller, S.: Greedy strikes back: Improved facility location algorithms. Journal of Algorithms, 649–657 (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Korupolu, M.R., Plaxton, C.G., Rajaraman, R.: Analysis of a local search heuristic for facility location problems. In: Proceedings of the Ninth Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, SODA 1998, Philadelphia, PA, USA, pp. 1–10 (1998), http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=314613.314616
- 10.Lin, J., Vitter, J.S.: Approximation algorithms for geometric median problems. Inf. Process. Lett. 44, 245–249 (1992), http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=152566.152569 CrossRefzbMATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar