Recoverable Values for Independent Sets
The notion of recoverable value was advocated in work of Feige, Immorlica, Mirrokni and Nazerzadeh [Approx 2009] as a measure of quality for approximation algorithms. There this concept was applied to facility location problems. In the current work we apply a similar framework to the maximum independent set problem (MIS). We say that an approximation algorithm has recoverable value ρ, if for every graph it recovers an independent set of size at least max I ∑ v ∈ I min [1,ρ/(d(v) + 1)], where d(v) is the degree of vertex v, and I ranges over all independent sets in G. Hence, in a sense, from every vertex v in the maximum independent set the algorithm recovers a value of at least ρ/(d v + 1) towards the solution. This quality measure is most effective in graphs in which the maximum independent set is composed of low degree vertices. It easily follows from known results that some simple algorithms for MIS ensure ρ ≥ 1. We design a new randomized algorithm for MIS that ensures an expected recoverable value of at least ρ ≥ 7/3. In addition, we show that approximating MIS in graphs with a given k-coloring within a ratio larger than 2/k is unique games hard. This rules out a natural approach for obtaining ρ ≥ 2.
KeywordsApproximation Algorithm Greedy Algorithm Average Degree Approximation Ratio Minimum Degree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Austrin, P., Khot, S., Safra, S.: Inapproximability of vertex cover and independent set in bounded degree graphs. In: CCC (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Berman, P., Fujito, T.: On approximation properties of the independent set problem for low degree graphs. Theory of Computing SystemsGoogle Scholar
- 5.Feige, U., Immorlica, N., Mirrokni, V.S., Nazerzadeh, H.: Pass approximation. In: Serna, M., Shaltiel, R., Jansen, K., Rolim, J. (eds.) APPROX 2010, LNCS, vol. 6302. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Feige, U., Reichman, D.: Recoverable values for independent sets (Detailed version of current paper), http://www.arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1103/1103.5609v1.pdf
- 8.Guruswami, V., Kemal Sinop, A.: The complexity of finding independent sets in bounded degree (hyper)graphs of low chromatic number. In: SODA (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Khot, S., Regev, O.: Vertex cover might be hard to approximate to within 2 − ε. In: CCC (2003)Google Scholar
- 17.Wei, V.K.: A lower bound on the stability number of a simple graph. Bell Laboratories Technical Memorandum 8 I- I 12 17.9 (1981)Google Scholar